Skip to main content

South Sudan 'at the precipice,' Obama says, as fighting spreads

By Mading Ngor and Marie-Louise Gumuchian CNN
updated 9:39 PM EST, Thu December 19, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: President Barack Obama warns fighting could push South Sudan back into its past
  • NEW: Unknown assailants attack a U.N. base in Africa's newest nation
  • Rebels have taken the town of Bor, government officials say
  • Human Rights Watch says it has reports of people being targeted for their ethnicity

Juba, South Sudan (CNN) -- U.S. President Barack Obama said Thursday that South Sudan "stands at the precipice," as deadly clashes spread in Africa's newest nation.

He spoke out the same day government officials said rebels have taken the town of Bor.

The town, which lies about 200 kilometers (125 miles) north of the capital, Juba, was under heavy shelling, said Col. Philip Aguer, an army spokesman. Bor Mayor Mhial Majak Mhial said the town was under rebel control and heavy artillery was in use.

"In 2011, millions of South Sudanese voted to forge a new nation, founded on the promise of a more peaceful and prosperous future for all of South Sudan's people," Obama said in a statement. "In recent years, against great odds, South Sudan has made great progress toward breaking the cycle of violence that characterized much of its history.

"Today, that future is at risk. South Sudan stands at the precipice. Recent fighting threatens to plunge South Sudan back into the dark days of its past," the President said.

Amid violence this week, Obama sent 45 U.S. service members to South Sudan. In a letter to Congress, he said the troops were deployed "to support the security of U.S. personnel and our Embassy."

The State Department said earlier this week that U.S. citizens currently in South Sudan should leave immediately, and it ordered the departure of non-emergency U.S. government personnel.

Obama stressed that leaders in South Sudan have a choice.

"South Sudan's leaders must recognize that compromise with one's political enemy is difficult; but recovering from unchecked violence and unleashed hatred will prove much harder," he said.

The fighting has been spreading in South Sudan after a reported coup attempt in Juba over the weekend. President Salva Kiir has blamed soldiers loyal to his former vice president, Riek Machar, for starting the violence.

"The government has lost control of Jonglei state to the forces of Col. Machar and his group," government representative Ateny Wek Ateny told CNN, referring to the state where Bor is situated.

Thousands flee fighting in South Sudan

The government could not yet confirm the number of fatalities from the violence, but "casualties are in the hundreds, including army forces and civilians," Ateny said.

The government tweeted that its troops had lost control of Bor and that it was doing all it could to "make sure citizens are secure & safe."

Earlier, Joseph Contreras, acting spokesman for the U.N. mission in South Sudan, told CNN the situation in Bor was "still unstable."

The violence, which the government said Wednesday has killed about 500 people, began Sunday evening.

In an interview with the online Paris-based Sudan Tribune published Wednesday, Machar denied Kiir's claims that he was behind an attempted coup, saying: "There was no coup. What took place in Juba was a misunderstanding between presidential guards within their division."

Kiir told reporters Thursday he was ready for dialogue "with anyone who is willing."

Attack on U.N. base

Also Thursday, unknown assailants attacked a U.N. base in South Sudan, possibly killing or injuring civilians who had sought refuge from the fighting.

The attack happened on the U.N. Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) base in Akobo.

"There are indications that civilians may have been killed and wounded in the attack, but this remains to be verified. Should these reports prove true, those responsible must be held accountable for their crimes," read a U.N. statement.

At the time of the attack, 43 Indian peacekeepers, six U.N. police advisers and two U.N. civilian staffers were present at the base. UNMISS has more than 6,800 troops and police in the country.

Tensions high

Tensions have been high in South Sudan since Kiir dismissed his entire Cabinet, including Machar, in July. The move further inflamed deep tensions between Kiir's Dinka community and Machar's Nuer community.

U.N. officials have said they are worried the recent fighting is based on ethnic divisions.

Citing reports it had received, Human Rights Watch said Thursday that in the fighting in Juba, South Sudanese soldiers fired indiscriminately in highly populated areas and targeted people for their ethnicity.

According to witnesses and victims, soldiers specifically targeted people from the Nuer ethnic group, it said, adding that it had also received reports that Nuer soldiers may have targeted ethnic Dinka in Juba and in the town of Bor.

"The awful accounts of killings in Juba may only be the tip of the iceberg," Daniel Bekele, Africa director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.

"Government officials -- whatever their politics -- need to take urgent steps to prevent further abuses against civilians and quickly deescalate rising ethnic tensions. ... We are deeply concerned that ethnically-based attacks on all sides will lead to revenge attacks and more violence."

It was not immediately possible to independently verify the reports. Government officials have disputed that the fighting is along ethnic lines.

Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth said Wednesday that people from different states and tribes rose up against the government, which is now fighting back.

Eleven people have been arrested in connection with the foiled coup, according to a statement the South Sudan government posted Thursday. Two of them were from the Nuer community, it said.

Tens of thousands displaced

Up to 100,000 people have been displaced by the fighting so far, according to Defense Minister Gen. John Kong Nyuon.

Many of the displaced people have crossed the Nile River, he said, adding that he feared a humanitarian disaster was unfolding.

On Wednesday, South Sudan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said order had been restored in the country, adding that government forces were in charge and flights had resumed at Juba International Airport.

U.N. officials have expressed deep concern about the unrest, saying as many as 35,000 people have taken shelter at the organization's compounds.

The U.S. and Britain have both sent planes to airlift their nationals out of the country.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has been reaching out to key leaders seeking a political end to the crisis. The U.N. Security Council has urged all parties to immediately cease hostilities and exercise restraint to prevent the further spread of violence.

South Sudan formally split from Sudan in 2011 after a referendum, following decades of conflict. Numerous armed groups remain active in the oil-rich country.

South Sudan says order restored after 500 killed, but U.N. still concerned

'Heavy' death toll as thousands flee violence, U.N. says

Editors' Note: This article has been edited to remove plagiarized content after CNN discovered multiple instances of plagiarism by Marie-Louise Gumuchian, a former CNN news editor.

CNN's Aliza Kassim, Nana Karikari-apau and Anna Maja Rappard contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
updated 9:54 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
A decade on from devastating 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, the Red Cross' Matthias Schmale says that the lessons learned have made us safer.
updated 7:24 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
As soon as word broke that "The Interview" will hit some theaters, celebrations erupted across social media -- including from the stars of the film.
updated 1:44 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Did a rogue hacker -- or the U.S. government -- cut the cord for the regime's Internet?
updated 8:06 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Monaco's newborn royals, Princess Gabriella and Crown Prince Jacques Honore Rainier, posed for their first official photos with their parents.
updated 12:06 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Tim Berners-Lee, the man credited with inventing the world wide web, gives a speech on April 18, 2012 in Lyon, central France, during the World Wide Web 2012 international conference on April 18, 2012 in Lyon.
What's next for the Internet? Acclaimed scientist Sir Tim Berners-Lee shares his insights.
updated 3:22 AM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
The United States and North Korea have long been locked in a bitter cycle of escalating and deescalating tensions. But the current cyber conflict may be especially hard to predict.
updated 4:00 PM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
A chilling video shows Boko Haram executing dozens of non-Muslims.
updated 6:34 AM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
New planes, new flight tests ... but will we get cheaper airfares?
updated 12:46 PM EST, Sun December 21, 2014
The killing of two cops could not have happened at a worse time for a city embroiled in a public battle over police-community relations, Errol Louis says.
updated 9:51 PM EST, Sun December 21, 2014
The gateway to Japan's capital, Tokyo Station, is celebrating its centennial this month -- and it has never looked better.
updated 11:21 AM EST, Sat December 20, 2014
Unicef has warned that more than 1.7 million children in conflict-torn areas of eastern Ukraine face an "extremely serious" situation.
updated 12:01 PM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
Each day, CNN brings you an image capturing a moment to remember, defining the present in our changing world.
Browse through images from CNN teams around the world that you don't always see on news reports.
ADVERTISEMENT