Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Vonn finishes fifth in Super G at Lake Louise

updated 7:01 PM EST, Sun December 8, 2013
Lindsey Vonn improved with every race on her return to competitive action at Lake Louise.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Lindsey Vonn claims fifth place in women's Super G event at Lake Louise
  • American making her competitive return following knee injury last February
  • Ted Ligety equals mark of Italian skiing legend Alberto Tomba at Beaver Creek

(CNN) -- Lindsey Vonn promising return to competitive skiing continued as she claimed fifth place in the women's World Cup Super-G at Lake Louise on Sunday.

Vonn, who placed 11th in Saturday's downhill race and 40th in the same discipline on Friday, finished 0.85 seconds behind Sunday's winner Lara Gut.

The 22-year-old Swiss star's fourth victory of the season was achieved in a time of one minute 22.86 seconds, 0.03 seconds ahead of Tina Weirather from Liechtenstein. Austria's Anna Fenniger finished 0.33 seconds back to claim third.

Vonn suffered a serious knee injury at the world championships in Schladming last February and her return to competition was delayed following a training crash last month.

Meet the world's best slalom skier
Jamaican skier's Olympic dream

But after a mishap-free racing weekend, the 29-year-old looks like having a realistic chance of defending her Olympic downhill title in Sochi next February.

"I'm really happy with my skiing. It's getting better every day," Vonn said.

"I know now that I can win and be on the podium. That gives me confidence and that was my goal this weekend. To be honest I don't know yet what races I am going to do in Europe. My focus is on the Olympics and with my knee the way it is, I am just not sure how many races I will do," she added.

"I want to put myself in the best position going into Sochi very confident and try to win. I will think about all this after this weekend and come up with a decision with my coaches."

Meanwhile in Beaver Creek, America's Ted Ligety's victory in the men's giant slalom on Sunday saw him become the first man since the great Italian skier Alberto Tomba in 1991 to win four consecutive giant slaloms.

Following a 30-minute delay for wind and snow, Ligety won in a combined time of two minutes 35.77 seconds, comfortably quicker than compatriot Bode Miller (two minutes 37.09 seconds) who finished second. Austria's Marcel Hirscher finished third.

"I feel like I skied well the whole way done considering the conditions are tough out there; it's pretty bouncy, Ligety said.

"I was able to arch the places I needed to arch. I was a bit surprised by the time difference because with the snow conditions right now it's not a feel-good course."

Read more: Lindsey Vonn's comeback speeds up

Part of complete coverage on
updated 6:37 AM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
Olympic medalist Henrik Kristoffersen takes snowmobile ride on a frozen lake in Sweden.
updated 9:18 AM EDT, Mon March 31, 2014
American skier Lindsey Vonn poses with a crystal globe after claiming the title of overall World Cup winner at the Alpine ski World Cup finals in March 2012.
Football has its 18-carat-gold World Cup trophy, and ice hockey the silver and nickel Stanley Cup, but skiing's globes are something else...
updated 2:22 PM EDT, Mon March 24, 2014
Austrian skiers Anna Fenninger and Marcel Hirscher reflect on their World Cup triumphs.
updated 5:45 AM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Christina Macfarlane explores how skiing's coveted Crystal Globe is made.
updated 9:04 AM EST, Thu February 20, 2014
The ghostly lights wind up from the base of the mountain. Heart rates are also rising. This race is held on a notorious downhill ski course -- but in reverse.
updated 1:46 PM EST, Wed January 29, 2014
CNN's Christina Macfarlane looks back at the history of Austria's Kitzbuhel ski race.
updated 1:49 PM EST, Wed January 29, 2014
CNN's Christina Macfarlane explores a new technology that customizes the entire boot to your foot.
updated 12:15 AM EST, Tue February 4, 2014
If you're scared of heights, then this is not for you -- a glass cube perched at the top of a 12,600-foot peak in the French Alps.
updated 6:27 AM EST, Mon December 16, 2013
CNN's Christina Macfarlane goes on patrol with a a seasoned ski rescue team in the French Alps.
updated 6:25 AM EST, Mon December 16, 2013
CNN's Christina Macfarlane meets Giant Slalom world champion Tessa Worley in Lyon, France.
updated 10:56 AM EST, Fri December 13, 2013
From GoPro cameras to avalanche airbags. CNN's Christina MacFarlane puts the latest skiing gadgets to the test.
updated 11:59 AM EST, Mon December 2, 2013
CNN's Christina MacFarlane talks to teenage skiing sensation Mikaela Shiffrin.
updated 11:59 AM EST, Mon December 2, 2013
CNN's Christina Macfarlane finds out how designers and engineers made Beaver Creek race course from scratch.