Skip to main content

Susan Boyle tells British paper she has Asperger's

By Steve Almasy, CNN
updated 3:03 PM EST, Mon December 9, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The singer says she's relieved, knowing she had been diagnosed incorrectly as a child
  • She had been told she had brain damage, but last year learned she had Asperger's
  • It is a form of autism that is characterized by poor social skills, focused interests
  • The 52-year-old says she hopes people will treat her better

(CNN) -- Scottish singing sensation Susan Boyle says she was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome last year, according to a report in Sunday's editions of The Observer newspaper.

The singer told The Observer that she went to a specialist in Scotland because she thought she had a more serious condition than the diagnosis she had received when she was a child.

"I was told I had brain damage. I always knew it was an unfair label," she said. "Now I have a clearer understanding of what's wrong and I feel relieved and a bit more relaxed about myself."

With autism, no longer invisible

Boyle became famous overnight after her audition for "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009 amazed people around the world who saw it on the show and on the Internet,

Asperger's syndrome, a developmental disorder that is a form of autism, is characterized by poor social skills, physical clumsiness, and narrowly focused interests, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

I have Asperger's; I am just like you

Boyle, 52, said she hoped revealing her Asperger's diagnosis will lead people to understand and treat her better. She said it was important for her to have a support team.

"I am not strong on my own. When I have the support of people around me I am fine," she said.

Boyle recently released her fifth studio album, a collection of Christmas recordings. Her debut album, "I Dreamed a Dream," sold more than 8 million copies around the world, making it the most popular album of 2009.

Boyle would 'love to adopt' Justin Bieber?

Susan Boyle talks bullying

I hired someone with Asperger's -- now what?

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:42 PM EDT, Thu October 23, 2014
Successful launch of lunar orbiter, seen as a precursor for a planned mission to the surface of the moon, marks significant advance for the country's space program.
updated 3:15 PM EDT, Thu October 23, 2014
Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, shot while standing guard at Ottawa's National War Memorial, was known for his easygoing manner and smile.
updated 4:06 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Non-stop chatter about actress' appearance is nasty, cruel, hurtful, invasive and sexist.
updated 6:08 PM EDT, Thu October 23, 2014
CEO's 30-min Putonghua chat is the perfect charm offensive for Facebook's last untapped market.
updated 11:45 PM EDT, Thu October 23, 2014
Chinese leaders want less odd architecture built in the country.
updated 4:58 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Air New Zealand's new 'Hobbit' safety video stars Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, elves and orcs.
updated 10:14 AM EDT, Thu October 23, 2014
A 15-year-old pregnant girl is rescued from slavery, only to be charged with having sex outside of marriage, shocked rights activists say -- a charge potentially punishable by death.
updated 11:33 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
After sushi and ramen, beef is on the list of must-eats for many visitors to Japan.
updated 12:07 PM EDT, Mon October 20, 2014
Airports judged on comfort, conveniences, cleanliness and customer service.
updated 1:48 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Scientists use CT scans to recreate a life-size image of the ancient king.
updated 5:59 AM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Despite billions spent on eradicating poppy production, Afghan farmers are growing bumper crops, a U.S. government report says.
updated 6:21 AM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Each day, CNN brings you an image capturing a moment to remember, defining the present in our changing world.
Browse through images from CNN teams around the world that you don't always see on news reports.