Skip to main content

Susan Boyle tells British paper she has Asperger's

By Steve Almasy, CNN
updated 3:03 PM EST, Mon December 9, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The singer says she's relieved, knowing she had been diagnosed incorrectly as a child
  • She had been told she had brain damage, but last year learned she had Asperger's
  • It is a form of autism that is characterized by poor social skills, focused interests
  • The 52-year-old says she hopes people will treat her better

(CNN) -- Scottish singing sensation Susan Boyle says she was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome last year, according to a report in Sunday's editions of The Observer newspaper.

The singer told The Observer that she went to a specialist in Scotland because she thought she had a more serious condition than the diagnosis she had received when she was a child.

"I was told I had brain damage. I always knew it was an unfair label," she said. "Now I have a clearer understanding of what's wrong and I feel relieved and a bit more relaxed about myself."

With autism, no longer invisible

Boyle became famous overnight after her audition for "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009 amazed people around the world who saw it on the show and on the Internet,

Asperger's syndrome, a developmental disorder that is a form of autism, is characterized by poor social skills, physical clumsiness, and narrowly focused interests, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

I have Asperger's; I am just like you

Boyle, 52, said she hoped revealing her Asperger's diagnosis will lead people to understand and treat her better. She said it was important for her to have a support team.

"I am not strong on my own. When I have the support of people around me I am fine," she said.

Boyle recently released her fifth studio album, a collection of Christmas recordings. Her debut album, "I Dreamed a Dream," sold more than 8 million copies around the world, making it the most popular album of 2009.

Boyle would 'love to adopt' Justin Bieber?

Susan Boyle talks bullying

I hired someone with Asperger's -- now what?

Part of complete coverage on
updated 5:08 AM EDT, Fri August 15, 2014
Is the rapid rise of religion in China a threat to the Communist Party's rule?
updated 7:34 AM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
In an exclusive CNN interview, Lance Armstrong admits to having a "f**k you" attitude.
Drinkers guzzled an incredible 10.3 billion liters of this brand in 2013, making it the world's No.1 beer. And you may have never heard of it
updated 4:58 AM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
Summer isn't over yet. These new hotels are keeping it alive and fresh.
updated 1:13 AM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
Unlike most twenty somethings starting out in New York City, Zhang Yuzhu is not scrimping to make rent.
updated 3:40 PM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
You've seen her turn on the catwalk, but her income might make your head spin.
updated 8:36 PM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
The pain that Michael Brown's parents are going through is something Sybrina Fulton can relate to. She, too, lost a son in a controversial shooting.
updated 5:04 AM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
19-year-old Udi Segal explains why he won't join the country's military.
updated 8:34 AM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
The sights couldn't be sadder: Animals killed or suffering through war in Gaza.
updated 9:14 AM EDT, Mon August 18, 2014
They are the faces of a community on the run. Photographer Warzer Jaff documents the plight of the Yazidis.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue August 19, 2014
A cameraman films a massive New York City subway rat charging at him and attacking him. WPIX reports.
CNN joins the fight to end modern-day slavery by shining a spotlight on its horrors and highlighting success stories.
Browse through images from CNN teams around the world that you don't always see on news reports.