Skip to main content

Susan Boyle tells British paper she has Asperger's

By Steve Almasy, CNN
updated 3:03 PM EST, Mon December 9, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The singer says she's relieved, knowing she had been diagnosed incorrectly as a child
  • She had been told she had brain damage, but last year learned she had Asperger's
  • It is a form of autism that is characterized by poor social skills, focused interests
  • The 52-year-old says she hopes people will treat her better

(CNN) -- Scottish singing sensation Susan Boyle says she was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome last year, according to a report in Sunday's editions of The Observer newspaper.

The singer told The Observer that she went to a specialist in Scotland because she thought she had a more serious condition than the diagnosis she had received when she was a child.

"I was told I had brain damage. I always knew it was an unfair label," she said. "Now I have a clearer understanding of what's wrong and I feel relieved and a bit more relaxed about myself."

With autism, no longer invisible

Boyle became famous overnight after her audition for "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009 amazed people around the world who saw it on the show and on the Internet,

Asperger's syndrome, a developmental disorder that is a form of autism, is characterized by poor social skills, physical clumsiness, and narrowly focused interests, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health.

I have Asperger's; I am just like you

Boyle, 52, said she hoped revealing her Asperger's diagnosis will lead people to understand and treat her better. She said it was important for her to have a support team.

"I am not strong on my own. When I have the support of people around me I am fine," she said.

Boyle recently released her fifth studio album, a collection of Christmas recordings. Her debut album, "I Dreamed a Dream," sold more than 8 million copies around the world, making it the most popular album of 2009.

Boyle would 'love to adopt' Justin Bieber?

Susan Boyle talks bullying

I hired someone with Asperger's -- now what?

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:39 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Tethered to an IV drip, 71-year-old Shin Young Ja lies under a thin fleece blanket, nursing a broken back and wracked with survivor's guilt.
updated 7:48 AM EDT, Mon April 21, 2014
The Vice-Principal of Danwon High School was rescued from sinking ferry last week. Two days later he took his own life, wracked with survivor's guilt.
updated 7:23 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Family members of the missing passengers are pinning slim hopes on floundering air pockets.
updated 2:29 AM EDT, Mon April 21, 2014
The world's most memorable accommodations don't always come with five stars. Sewer pipe hotel, anyone?
updated 10:01 PM EDT, Sun April 20, 2014
Love eating? Money? Appreciate efficient population density? HK might be the city for you.
updated 12:14 PM EDT, Thu April 17, 2014
An Iranian mother slaps and then forgives her 17-year old son's murderer in dramatic scenes at the gallows.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Mon April 21, 2014
Prince George takes a special interest in an Australian animal on a zoo trip.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
An "extraordinary" video shows what looks like the largest and most dangerous gathering of al Qaeda in years.
updated 8:30 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
Explore each side's case, reconstructed from Pistorius' court affidavit and the prosecution's case during last year's bail hearing.
updated 8:37 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Mentions of the 1989 Tiananmen Square student protests or political reform are still censored in China.
updated 5:34 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
The Hadza are one of the last communities of hunter-gatherers in the world -- but losing their land.
updated 9:22 PM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
In choosing to change a traditional practice, Francis is being as radical as Jesus was in his own time.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Too weak. Can't handle pressure. Unattractive to sponsors. Susie Wolff has heard it all.
updated 7:07 AM EDT, Mon April 21, 2014
Browse through images you don't always see on news reports from CNN teams around the world.
updated 8:30 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
It's like finding a needle in a universe-wide haystack. Researchers have located a planet roughly the size of Earth that could be habitable.
updated 5:40 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Dubai, long champion of all things biggest, longest and most expensive, will soon have some competition from a neighboring country.