Skip to main content

Zahir Belounis: Qatar deserves World Cup

updated 5:09 PM EST, Fri November 29, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Zahir Belounis says Qatar deserves to host the World Cup in 2022
  • Belounis was stuck in Qatar for two years over a pay dispute but returned to France this week
  • He says the people in Qatar are "working very hard" to stage the tournament
  • Belounis suspects that his playing career is over as his "psychology is very bad"

(CNN) -- The 2022 World Cup in Qatar has an unlikely backer -- Zahir Belounis.

Despite being stuck in Qatar for two years in an ordeal that he says left him contemplating a hunger strike and suicide, the freed footballer insists the Middle Eastern nation deserves to stage arguably the world's top sporting event.

World governing body FIFA's decision to award the 2022 contest to Qatar three years ago has generated controversy both over what time of the year it will be held and the way migrant workers, largely responsible for the tournament's infrastructure, are treated.

"They deserve it," the French-Algerian told CNN on Friday. The "people are working very hard for it. A lot of Qatari friends were sad at my situation.

"I enjoyed my time there. The people who tried to destroy my life, I will not forgive them, but I will forever cherish the people who helped me. My life in Qatar was great, but the last two years were a disaster."

A relieved and exhausted Belounis, who was embroiled in a pay dispute with club El Jaish, returned home to Paris on Thursday with his wife and two daughters after the 33-year-old was finally granted an exit visa.

But instead of saying Qatar should be stripped of holding the World Cup because of its controversial employment laws -- especially the kafala system, which effectively means foreign employees can't leave the country without their employer's permission -- Belounis indeed backed the emirate's right to host the competition.

An Amnesty International report released last week claimed the abuse of migrant workers in Qatar was an issue and even Sepp Blatter has described working conditions there as "unacceptable" -- although the FIFA president is adamant the World Cup in nine years won't be moved to another country.

"World Cup organizers were sad" about his predicament, said Belounis. "I can't say bad things against Qataris or Qatar, just against the club," he added in reference to his dispute with El Jaish.

As well as endorsing Qatar as World Cup host, Belounis said there was little wrong with the employment laws in place -- as long as they were correctly followed.

"There are rules ... if people respect them, everything will be fine," he said. "I believe Qatar will grow up in a very good way. I don't think I helped them to grow. Now we know that there are a lot of people that are abused.

"It's not the state of Qatar or the government. There is a company that brings the workers. The company has to respect the rules. I'm sad to see the workers abused, but it's not the organizers or the government."

Belounis, a striker, credited his wife for being "stronger" than him during his nightmare when he admitted to crying "every day, like a baby."

As Belounis' fight to leave Qatar is over, so it also seems, is his playing career.

"I think it's finished for me," he said. "I think a team, as a symbolic thing, they (might) want me to train for them. My psychology is very bad right now.

Qatar accused of exploiting workers
Moving the 2022 Qatar World Cup
Qatar's World Cup conundrum

"I didn't take any medication but I will see if I have the power to train. The fight was so intense."

The last few months might have made Belounis a cause celebre, but he believes he won't be headline news for very much longer.

"In one or two weeks, everyone will forget about me," he said. "I have to focus on my life, have a normal life, find a job, to restart my life and enjoy my family."

The Qatari Foreign Ministry and Qatari Football Association (QFA) didn't reply to CNN's queries earlier this week seeking comment.

But in October, the QFA told CNN that "as in any other football association in the world, there will unfortunately always be contractual disputes between clubs and players/coaches."

It added: "It is also relevant to emphasize that up to now the player has not taken any action in front of the competent judicial bodies of FIFA."

The QFA said further that Belounis received full compensation in relation to a claim he made for compensation from another club, Al Markhiya.

"However, in the alleged case of El Jaish Club, Zahir Belounis did not contact QFA, although he had experienced the efficiency of doing so when his request was legitimate," it said.

Read: Stranded footballer back home

Read: Amnesty International says Qatar rife with migrant worker abuse before World Cup

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
updated 9:48 AM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
A man as a Roman centurion and who earn his living by posing with tourists gestures in front of the Colosseum during a protest where some of his colleagues climbed on the monument on April 12, 2012 in Rome. The costumed centurions are asking for the right to work there after they were banned following a decision by local authorities.
From the ancient ruins of Rome, a new empire rises. But the eyes of the city's newest gladiator light up at thoughts of the Colosseum.
updated 12:22 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
updated 10:11 AM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
updated 2:19 PM EDT, Sat October 18, 2014
Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.
Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
updated 8:47 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
After 10 years of golden glory, it's easy to see how Lionel Messi has taken his place among the football gods.
updated 6:34 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
A football fan wipes a tear after Inter Milan's Argentinian defender Javier Zanetti has greeted fans following the announcement of his retirement before the start of the Italian seria A football match Inter Milan vs Lazio, on May 10, 2014, in San Siro Stadium In Milan
When will the tears stop? A leading Italian football club is pursuing a new direction -- under the guidance of its new Indonesian owner.
updated 6:41 PM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.
updated 9:10 AM EDT, Fri October 10, 2014
After revolutionizing cricket with its glitzy Twenty20 league, India has now thrown large sums of money at a new football venture.
updated 10:53 AM EDT, Thu October 2, 2014
Get ruthless. That is Rio Ferdinand's message to soccer's authorities in the fight to tackle the scourge of racism.
updated 9:28 AM EDT, Wed September 10, 2014
A picture taken on May 16, 2014 shows 15-year-old Norwegian footballer Martin Oedegaard of club Stroemsgodset IF cheering during a match in Drammen, Norway. Oedegaard is set to become Norways youngest player ever in the national football team.
He's just 15 and the world is seemingly already at his feet. Norway's Martin Odegaard is being sought by Europe's top clubs.
ADVERTISEMENT