Skip to main content

High carbon monoxide levels at church building send 20 kids to hospital

By CNN Staff
updated 1:30 PM EST, Sun November 17, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The incident occurred in Waltham, Massachusetts
  • Children were in Sunday school
  • Some kids went to hospitals, others went to family physicians

(CNN) -- High levels of carbon monoxide in a Massachusetts church building Sunday sent at least 20 children to hospitals, a fire official said.

The incident occurred at St. Mary's Education Center in Waltham, deputy chief Michael Quinn of the Waltham Fire Department said.

The department got a call about a suspected gas leak while about 50 children between the ages of 8 and 12 were inside for Sunday school.

The children were evacuated and put in a church basement, Quinn said. When firefighters got to the scene, they determined the problem was spurred by elevated levels of carbon monoxide, not a gas leak.

Symptoms of exposure to elevated carbon monoxide levels include dizziness, headaches, and a pink hue to the skin, Quinn said.

Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton accepted 17 children who were transported, and Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge accepted three children. Seven parents took their children to their own physicians.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT