Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

French flair: Victor Dubuisson grabs 11 birdies to challenge in Dubai

updated 12:43 PM EST, Sat November 16, 2013
Victor Dubuisson signs off after completing his stunning round of 64 to move into second place at the World Tour Championship in Dubai.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Henrik Stenson remains in lead in World Tour Championship in Dubai
  • On course to become first man to win Race to Dubai and FedEx Cup in same season
  • Frenchman Victor Dubuisson giving chase one shot back
  • Ian Poulter in third in his pursuit of Stenson for top European honor

(CNN) -- Just a week ago Victor Dubuisson was little known aside from the most ardent golf fan, but then came victory in the Turkish Airlines Open, beating Tiger Woods and a clutch of big names and now the 23-year-old Frenchman is firmly in the hunt for an even bigger prize.

Saturday saw Dubuisson move to within one shot of leader Henrik Stenson at the World Tour Championship in Dubai with a stunning eight-under 64, including 11 birdies, one short of the European Tour record.

Dubuisson has carded 52 birdies in his last seven rounds of competitive golf and aims to carry on that form into the final day on the Earth Course at Jumeirah Golf Estates.

"I am very confident about tomorrow. I will try to do my best. And you know, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not, but I will do the same as today and the first two rounds," he told gathered reporters.

Garcia sorry for 'fried chicken' slur
Tiger Woods tonight on Unguarded
Mythbusters: Edoardo Molinari

"I'm very happy to play with Henrik tomorrow... he's a great guy and he's the best player of the year, so I'm very excited."

Swede Stenson, who can become the first man to win the European Tour's Race to Dubai and the FedEx Cup on the PGA Tour in the same season, knows he is in for a fight on the final day.

"Victor is playing incredible golf at the moment. I kept hearing that I was the hottest player in the world, but I think he's just jumped up and grabbed that title the last two weeks, winning last week and then shooting the score that he did today. "

Stenson is also being chased for overall honors by England's Ian Poulter, who carded a 66, but is four behind in third place.

He drew level with his Florida neighbor on the back nine of the third round, but Stenson finished with four birdies in the last five holes to open up a significant advantage as he closed with a 67 for 17-under overall.

"I caught him today and I'll catch him tomorrow, it's whether or not I can keep hold of him," Poulter told the official European Tour website.

A win for Poulter would mean Stenson would have to finish second to claim the Harry Vardon trophy, but the 37-year-old is not thinking that way.

"I am trying to avoid all that," he said.

"I know I can win The Race to Dubai even if I don't win here, but why not try my hardest to win this tournament? If I do I know that both trophies are coming home with me," he added.

U.S. Open champions present and past, Justin Rose and Graeme McDowell, can also still deny Stenson the title with victory in Dubai, but at 11 under and eight under after both shot rounds of 68, it is an unlikely permutation.

So can the man of the moment Dubuisson, but he would have to lift the trophy and see Stenson crumble to finish outside the top 30.

But he has moved into the top 50 in the world and made a strong start to claim a place in the European Ryder Cup team next year at Gleneagles.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:47 AM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
If golf has a reputation for being a bit stuffy, then the Bryan brothers and their trick shots are a much-needed blast of fresh air.
updated 8:18 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Not many people make the leap from teenage market trader to golf pro and fashion entrepreneur, but that's just what Ian Poulter has done.
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.