Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

French flair: Victor Dubuisson grabs 11 birdies to challenge in Dubai

updated 12:43 PM EST, Sat November 16, 2013
Victor Dubuisson signs off after completing his stunning round of 64 to move into second place at the World Tour Championship in Dubai.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Henrik Stenson remains in lead in World Tour Championship in Dubai
  • On course to become first man to win Race to Dubai and FedEx Cup in same season
  • Frenchman Victor Dubuisson giving chase one shot back
  • Ian Poulter in third in his pursuit of Stenson for top European honor

(CNN) -- Just a week ago Victor Dubuisson was little known aside from the most ardent golf fan, but then came victory in the Turkish Airlines Open, beating Tiger Woods and a clutch of big names and now the 23-year-old Frenchman is firmly in the hunt for an even bigger prize.

Saturday saw Dubuisson move to within one shot of leader Henrik Stenson at the World Tour Championship in Dubai with a stunning eight-under 64, including 11 birdies, one short of the European Tour record.

Dubuisson has carded 52 birdies in his last seven rounds of competitive golf and aims to carry on that form into the final day on the Earth Course at Jumeirah Golf Estates.

"I am very confident about tomorrow. I will try to do my best. And you know, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not, but I will do the same as today and the first two rounds," he told gathered reporters.

Garcia sorry for 'fried chicken' slur
Tiger Woods tonight on Unguarded
Mythbusters: Edoardo Molinari

"I'm very happy to play with Henrik tomorrow... he's a great guy and he's the best player of the year, so I'm very excited."

Swede Stenson, who can become the first man to win the European Tour's Race to Dubai and the FedEx Cup on the PGA Tour in the same season, knows he is in for a fight on the final day.

"Victor is playing incredible golf at the moment. I kept hearing that I was the hottest player in the world, but I think he's just jumped up and grabbed that title the last two weeks, winning last week and then shooting the score that he did today. "

Stenson is also being chased for overall honors by England's Ian Poulter, who carded a 66, but is four behind in third place.

He drew level with his Florida neighbor on the back nine of the third round, but Stenson finished with four birdies in the last five holes to open up a significant advantage as he closed with a 67 for 17-under overall.

"I caught him today and I'll catch him tomorrow, it's whether or not I can keep hold of him," Poulter told the official European Tour website.

A win for Poulter would mean Stenson would have to finish second to claim the Harry Vardon trophy, but the 37-year-old is not thinking that way.

"I am trying to avoid all that," he said.

"I know I can win The Race to Dubai even if I don't win here, but why not try my hardest to win this tournament? If I do I know that both trophies are coming home with me," he added.

U.S. Open champions present and past, Justin Rose and Graeme McDowell, can also still deny Stenson the title with victory in Dubai, but at 11 under and eight under after both shot rounds of 68, it is an unlikely permutation.

So can the man of the moment Dubuisson, but he would have to lift the trophy and see Stenson crumble to finish outside the top 30.

But he has moved into the top 50 in the world and made a strong start to claim a place in the European Ryder Cup team next year at Gleneagles.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:24 AM EDT, Fri August 8, 2014
From Seve's "spine-shivering" moment to Jack Nicklaus' "perfect explosion," David Cannon has captured many of golf's defining images.
updated 9:20 AM EDT, Thu August 7, 2014
They came home as casualties of war -- physically shattered and mentally broken. But golf is proving to be an unlikely salvation for U.S. veterans.
updated 8:31 AM EDT, Tue August 5, 2014
You are the one hitting the shots, but the man standing over your shoulder could hold the key to your golfing destiny.
updated 8:27 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
PINEHURST, NC - JUNE 10: Rory McIlroy (R) of Northern Ireland talks with his dad Gerry McIlroy (L) during a practice round prior to the start of the 114th U.S. Open at Pinehurst Resort & Country Club, Course No. 2 on June 10, 2014 in Pinehurst, North Carolina. (Photo by Andrew Redington/Getty Images)
He has been there for all three of his son's major wins, but the latest triumph may well have been the sweetest yet for Rory McIlroy's father.
updated 8:18 AM EDT, Wed July 9, 2014
The next generation of golfers just keeps on getting younger. "They have the confidence to perform against their idols," says one ex-prodigy.
updated 7:59 AM EDT, Tue July 1, 2014
He was Spain's ultimate matador and golf's greatest escape artist.
updated 11:36 AM EDT, Wed June 18, 2014
Rory McIlroy has announced he wants to represent Ireland at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
Two-time major champion Rory McIlroy declares he'll represent Ireland at the Rio Olympics, not Great Britain.
updated 10:48 PM EDT, Mon April 28, 2014
Already admired by Annika Sorenstam and with a bucketful of talent, New Zealand's Lydia Ko has the world of golf at her feet.
updated 7:30 AM EDT, Mon April 28, 2014
Mike O'Connor, UK FootGolf
Like footie? Partial to a bit of golf? Then you'll love FootGolf. The sport's growing fan base includes a host of former English Premier League stars.
updated 9:43 AM EDT, Thu April 24, 2014
Golfers at at Barkway Park don't seem to concerned and have been taking pictures and videos of the bird when it appears on the greens and fairways.
A runaway ostrich-like bird hiding near an English golf course has caused quite a stir. Some say it's dangerous, while others are cashing in.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Tue April 22, 2014
Eagles may be thin on the ground for most golfers at the Bear Trace course at Harrison Bay. But up in the treetops, it's a different matter.
updated 1:54 PM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
When someone tells you to go jump in a lake, sometimes it's best to take their advice. "I've never been so scared," says golfer Pablo Larrazabal.