- Army Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13, injured 32 in 2009 shooting at Fort Hood
- Hasan was convicted in August
- The building where massacre happened had been fenced off as crime scene
The building at Fort Hood, Texas, where Army Maj. Nidal Hasan massacred 13 people and injured 32 four years ago will be demolished, the military post said this week.
The deployment processing center where the shootings happened had been fenced off as a crime scene, but now that Hasan has been convicted, it will be torn down, said Brian Dosa, the post's public works director.
The post has not said when the demolition will begin.
Hasan shot fellow soldiers at the processing center on November 5, 2009. Prosecutors maintained that the American-born Muslim underwent a progressive radicalization that led to the massacre at the sprawling central Texas base.
The Army psychiatrist picked that day because it was when the units he was scheduled to deploy with to Afghanistan were scheduled to go through the processing center, prosecutors said.
Hasan, who became a paraplegic when he was shot by police officers to end the attack, was convicted in August of premeditated murder, and a military jury recommended that he be put to death. An Army general will review the proceedings and eventually make a binding decision on whether to accept the guilty verdict and capital sentence.
Fort Hood shooting jury recommends death penalty for Nidal Hasan