Five more held in deadly Westgate mall attack in Kenya

Kenyan soldiers take cover after heavy gunfire near Westgate mall in Nairobi on September 23, 2013.

Story highlights

  • Five more held in connection with Westgate mall attack, senior Kenyan official says
  • This is in addition to 11 others detained shortly after the September 21 attack
  • The suspects are expected to appear in court Monday, the official says

Five more people are being held in connection with the terrorist attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya, a senior Kenyan government official said Wednesday.

The five are in addition to as many as 11 people taken into custody by Kenyan authorities shortly after the September 21 attack.

They are scheduled to appear in court on Monday, according to the official, who could not be named due to the sensitivity of the case.

Video shows terror attack in Nairobi

    Just Watched

    Video shows terror attack in Nairobi

Video shows terror attack in Nairobi 03:23
PLAY VIDEO
Kenya conversion to terror?

    Just Watched

    Kenya conversion to terror?

Kenya conversion to terror? 03:06
PLAY VIDEO

Gunmen believed affiliated with the Somalian terror group Al-Shabab stormed the mall at the outset of a four-day standoff that left at least 67 people dead and parts of the center destroyed.

Surveillance video obtained by CNN shows gunmen casually shooting some civilians. They reportedly also tortured some hostages, according to military doctors who saw evidence of severed hands and noses. Some hostages had been hanged, according to the doctors.

READ: Suspicion grows over Norwegian's role in Kenya mall attack

READ: Did 'White Widow' Samantha Lewthwaite spy on Kenya mall?