Skip to main content

Suspect charged in bomb scare at Jacksonville airport

From Josh Levs, CNN
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Wed October 2, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Suspect Zeljko Causevic is facing two charges
  • NEW: A bag was X-rayed, and no explosive device was found, a source says
  • The hoax bomb threat Tuesday shut down the airport temporarily
  • The suspect will likely be charged with making a hoax bomb threat, a source says

(CNN) -- A bomb scare that forced the evacuation of Jacksonville International Airport was a hoax, officials said Wednesday.

A suspect was arrested after the incident Tuesday.

Zeljko Causevic, 39, is charged with one count of making a false report about planting a bomb, and one count of manufacturing, possessing, selling or delivering a "hoax bomb," according to Jacksonville Aviation Authority spokesman Michael Stewart.

He was arrested at the airport.

See photo of arrest at airport

There was no immediate public statement by an attorney on Causevic's behalf.

The FBI is assisting in the probe.

During the bomb scare, a bag was searched and X-rayed. No explosive device was found, a federal law enforcement source told CNN.

After the airport was evacuated, some arriving flights were diverted and some passengers who were on planes that had already landed were taken to hotels.

Hours later, officials issued an all-clear.

Passengers wait after being evacuated

"We erred on the side of caution in terms of doing whatever's necessary to make sure that everybody is safe," Stewart said.

Shannon Harley, with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, said Tuesday a device was found and rendered safe. He did not describe it as an explosive.

Reports of the event first surfaced on Twitter.

Ex-TSA employee accused of making false threat at LAX on eve of 9/11 anniversary

CNN's Joe Sutton, Dave Alsup and Rich Phillips contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT