Skip to main content

George Zimmerman's wife has doubts about his innocence

By Amanda Sloane, HLNtv.com
updated 2:41 PM EDT, Sun September 29, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Recent events have "really helped me to take the blinders off," Shellie Zimmerman says
  • She was referring to the couple's struggles since the verdict
  • But she says she doesn't think the Trayvon Martin shooting was a case of racial profiling

(HLN) -- George Zimmerman's estranged wife said Thursday that while she respects the jury's not guilty verdict in his second-degree murder trial, she now has doubts about his innocence.

"I believe the evidence, but this revelation in my life has really helped me to take the blinders off and start to see things differently," Shellie Zimmerman told NBC's Matt Lauer on the "Today" show. Zimmerman was referring to the couple's struggles since the verdict, including an ugly spat earlier this month that resulted in police being called -- and headlines being made.

"I think anyone would doubt that innocence because I don't know the person that I have been married to," she said.

George Zimmerman was acquitted on July 13 in the death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman told police he shot the teen in self-defense.

Zimmerman's wife calls 911 on him

Despite her doubts about her husband's innocence, Shellie Zimmerman said she believes he did not profile the teen, who is black.

"So had Trayvon Martin been white, you think the night would have ended in the same tragic fashion?" Matt Lauer asked.

"Yes, I do," she said.

Shellie Zimmerman called 911 just days after filing for divorce, claiming her estranged husband punched her father in the nose, took her iPad out of her hands, smashed it and cut it with a pocket knife.

She also said the former neighborhood watch volunteer threatened her and her father with a weapon. She stands by that story, despite police saying they never saw or confiscated a gun at the scene.

"I did not see a gun, but I saw -- I know my husband. I saw him in a stance and a look in his eyes that I have never seen before," she said. "His shirt was halfway unbuttoned and he was putting his hand in his shirt and saying, 'Please step closer, please step closer,' so I think that logically I assumed he had a gun on him."

Shellie Zimmerman has not pressed charges but police are still investigating the case. They say it could take months to recover video evidence from the damaged iPad.

While she stood by her man through his trial and the months of living "like gypsies" in the woods leading up to it, she said everything changed after the verdict.

"He just kind of treated me like I was disposable ... after standing by him," Shellie Zimmerman said. "He kind of left and I guess kind of went on a victory tour without me, and I thought that I was living a life with him and that we were going to kind of rebuild after all of this, (but) he had other plans for me."

Part of complete coverage on
George Zimmerman
updated 8:50 PM EST, Wed February 5, 2014
Let's get ready to ... mumble.
updated 8:35 PM EST, Fri January 24, 2014
George Zimmerman, who sold his first painting on eBay for a whopping $100,000, is at it again.
updated 2:41 PM EDT, Sun September 29, 2013
George Zimmerman's estranged wife said that while she respects the jury's not guilty verdict in his second-degree murder trial, she now has doubts about his innocence.
updated 1:11 PM EDT, Sun July 28, 2013
George Zimmerman's defense team says people should delve into the "substance" of other comments made by a juror who claimed the man who killed Trayvon Martin "got away with murder."
updated 1:12 PM EDT, Sun July 28, 2013
A juror in the George Zimmerman trial says she feels the man who killed Trayvon Martin "got away with murder."
updated 3:52 PM EDT, Wed July 24, 2013
Four days after he was acquitted of murder, George Zimmerman stepped out of seclusion to help a family.
updated 1:09 PM EDT, Sun July 28, 2013
Florida law kept George Zimmerman from being held accountable in last year's shooting death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, the teen's mom said.
updated 10:10 PM EDT, Wed July 24, 2013
Vowing to keep fighting for his son Trayvon -- even after Zimmerman was acquitted of murder -- Tracy Martin said that his family wants to turn "negative energy" surrounding their plight "into a positive."
updated 12:54 PM EDT, Sat July 20, 2013
The nation has a long history of self-defense laws. Almost every state allows some version of the "castle" defense, as in "a man's home is his castle."
updated 12:43 AM EDT, Thu July 18, 2013
The woman known as Juror B37 in the George Zimmerman trial released a statement exclusively to CNN pushing for new laws.
updated 4:57 PM EDT, Tue July 16, 2013
One of the jurors who acquitted George Zimmerman said she had "no doubt" he feared for his life in the final moments of his struggle with Trayvon Martin.
updated 8:54 AM EDT, Wed July 17, 2013
George Zimmerman "didn't do anything unlawful" and was "justified" in shooting 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, according to one of the jurors who acquitted Zimmerman.
updated 1:04 AM EDT, Wed July 17, 2013
The friend who was on the phone with Trayvon Martin when his fatal confrontation with Zimmerman said she is upset at his acquittal on murder charges.
updated 9:49 AM EDT, Tue July 16, 2013
His trial's over. And now it turns out that George Zimmerman might need the same thing millions of Americans are looking for: a job.
updated 10:16 AM EDT, Mon July 15, 2013
An employee of the Florida State Attorney's Office who testified that prosecutors withheld evidence from George Zimmerman's defense team has been fired.
updated 10:02 AM EDT, Mon July 15, 2013
This might sound like a legal conundrum.
updated 9:10 AM EDT, Mon July 15, 2013
Suspected racism in the justice system, deep-seated, secretive and historic, was the crux of the case for millions, writes Tom Foreman.
updated 11:33 AM EDT, Fri March 30, 2012
Just like most any other teenager, Trayvon Martin enjoyed listening to music and going to the movies, friends and family said.
updated 3:38 PM EDT, Tue July 2, 2013
With a single phrase, Rachel Jeantel, that friend of Trayvon Martin's, may have lit a fuse in the trial of his accused killer.