Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage from

Lusting after the new iPhone

By Dean Obeidallah
updated 10:55 AM EDT, Wed September 25, 2013
The latest additions to the iPhone line -- the colorful iPhone 5C, left, and higher-end iPhone 5S -- mark the first time Apple has launched two new versions of the phone. Initial reviews have been positive. The latest additions to the iPhone line -- the colorful iPhone 5C, left, and higher-end iPhone 5S -- mark the first time Apple has launched two new versions of the phone. Initial reviews have been positive.
HIDE CAPTION
Three 5S colors
Features of the new iPhones
Exterior design
Upgraded camera
Touch ID
A more helpful Siri
64-bit chip
iPhone 5C colors
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Dean Obeidallah: The new iPhone 5S has rekindled my enthusiasm for the devices
  • He says the iPhone has been his companion, resource, chronicler for years
  • Obeidallah says he wants a gold-colored phone, looks forward to its new features

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah, a former attorney, is a political comedian and frequent commentator on various TV networks including CNN. He is the co-director of the new comedy documentary "The Muslims Are Coming!" which was released this month. Follow him on Twitter @deanofcomedy.

(CNN) -- I'm going to be honest: I didn't expect to get excited over the new iPhone 5S.

In fact, just last summer I wrote about how I had fallen out of love with my iPhone.

I spoke of the thrill being gone. And even though I knew it wasn't the fault of the iPhone, but iDean, it didn't make it any better.

Dean Obeidallah
Dean Obeidallah

I was clearly taking my iPhone for granted. In fact, I found myself checking out other phones -- sneaking a glimpse at my best friend's Samsung Galaxy. I even would Google images of the new BlackBerry when I was home alone.

But the new iPhone 5S has changed all that. I dare say it's making me fall back in love with the iPhone. And it appears I'm not alone; a record 9 million-plus new iPhones were sold on the first weekend they were available.

Another view: Why I'll never ditch my BlackBerry

Look, how could anyone resist the new iPhone 5S? It's the gold standard for smartphones -- and in fact it comes in gold. That color phone is for sale on Ebay for $1,500, slightly higher than an actual ounce of gold.

How to hack an iPhone fingerprint sensor
Turn your iPhone into a stun gun
4-year-old has an iMeltdown

The new iPhone may look the same as the old one on the outside, but just like the guys from "Duck Dynasty" have taught us, just because things look the same, it doesn't mean they are. The new iPhone boasts a faster processor, an updated camera and even a Touch ID fingerprint system for better security.

While I don't have the new iPhone yet, its rollout has made me appreciate my older iPhone and the great times we had together. Like when it helped me find my way with its "maps app" when my older GPS had lost satellite reception because it was "too cloudy."

Or when an iPhone app became a white noise machine helping me sleep me on a long plane flight. And, of course, I can't thank my iPhone enough for all the hours it spent with me in the bathroom as a replacement for reading a newspaper.

In fact, the iPhone 5S is making me forget about all the arguments I had with Siri. And when I say "arguments," I mean me yelling at my iPhone because Siri kept nagging me with comments like: "Sorry, Dean, I don't understand what you're asking."

BlackBerry: Why breaking up is hard to do

Is the BlackBerry better than the iPhone? It's like comparing "Honey Boo Boo" with HBO's "Newsroom." Sure, "Honey Boo Boo" may be popular, but watching it will make you dumber.

The iPhone has been a big part of my life for more than six years. And during that time we have shared so many great moments, which are all conveniently stored as photos in my iPhone.

So keep your BlackBerrys, Androids and Galaxys. I'm an iPhone man and will likely be one for years to come, and not just because of the $350 early termination fee. I may not be perfect, but iDean appreciate loyalty and I appreciate the inner and outer beauty of my iPhone.

Follow us on Twitter @CNNOpinion.

Join us on Facebook/CNNOpinion.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Dean Obeidallah.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:35 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Frida Ghitis: Anger over MH17 is growing against pro-Russia separatists. It's time for the Dutch government to lead, she writes
updated 8:27 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Julian Zelizer says President Obama called inequality the "defining challenge" of our time but hasn't followed through.
updated 7:57 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Gene Seymour says the 'Rockford Files' actor worked the persona of the principled coward, charming audiences on big and small screen for generations
updated 10:17 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Daniel Treisman says that when the Russian leader tied his fate to the Ukraine separatists, he set the stage for his current risky predicament
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Andrew Kuchins says urgent diplomacy -- not sanctions -- is needed to de-escalate the conflict in Ukraine that helped lead to the downing of an airliner there.
updated 9:50 PM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Jim Hall and Peter Goelz say there should be an immediate and thorough investigation into what happened to MH17.
updated 11:07 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Pilot Bill Palmer says main defense commercial jets have against missiles is to avoid flying over conflict areas.
updated 1:55 PM EDT, Sun July 20, 2014
Valerie Jarrett says that working women should not be discriminated against because they are pregnant.
updated 3:53 PM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
David Wheeler says the next time you get a difficult customer representative, think about recording the call.
updated 3:33 PM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Newt Gingrich says the more dangerous the world becomes the more Obama hides in a fantasy world.
updated 6:11 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Michael Desch: It's hard to see why anyone, including Russia and its local allies, would have intentionally targeted the Malaysian Airlines flight
updated 3:14 PM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014
LZ Granderson says we must remember our visceral horror at the news of children killed in an airstrike on a Gaza beach next time our politicians talk of war
updated 8:06 AM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014
Sally Kohn says now the House GOP wants to sue Obama for not implementing a law fast enough, a law they voted down 50 times, all reason has left the room.
updated 8:14 AM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014
A street sign for Wall Street
Sens. Elizabeth Warren, John McCain and others want to scale back the "too big to fail" banks that put us at risk of another financial collapse.
updated 4:16 PM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014
Newt Gingrich writes an open letter to Robert McDonald, the nominee to head the Veterans Administration.
updated 12:01 PM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Paul Begala says Dick Cheney has caused an inordinate amount of damage yet continues in a relentless effort to revise the history of his failures.
updated 10:04 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Kids who takes cell phones to bed are not sleeping, says Mel Robbins. Make them park their phones with the parents at night.
updated 1:29 PM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014
Buzz Aldrin looked at planet Earth as he stood on talcum-like lunar dust 45 years ago. He thinks the next frontier should be Mars.
updated 2:04 PM EDT, Wed July 16, 2014
Mark Zeller never thought my Afghan translator would save his life by killing two Taliban fighters who were about to kill him. The Taliban retaliated by placing him on the top of its kill list.
updated 11:18 AM EDT, Thu July 17, 2014
Jeff Yang says an all-white cast of Asian characters in cartoonish costumes is racially offensive.
updated 9:24 PM EDT, Wed July 16, 2014
Gary Ginsberg says the late John F. Kennedy Jr.'s reaction to an event in 1995 summed up his character
updated 12:41 PM EDT, Wed July 16, 2014
Meg Urry says most falling space debris lands on the planet harmlessly and with no witnesses.