Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Andriy Shevchenko struggles in professional golf debut

updated 2:03 PM EDT, Thu September 12, 2013
Ukrainian star Andriy Shevchenko started playing golf to escape the pressures of football.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Andriy Shevchenko makes his professional golf debut in his native Ukraine
  • The 36-year-old cards 84 but his playing partner leads after shooting 64
  • Shevchenko retired from football after last year's European Championships
  • The Kharkov Superior Cup is the first major professional golf event to be held in Ukraine

(CNN) -- Andriy Shevchenko has returned to pro sports.

But not in football -- and not to the standard of success he has been used to.

The former European player of the year is competing in his first professional golf tournament as part of the Kharkov Superior Cup in his native Ukraine, but struggled to a 12-over-par 84 in Thursday's opening round.

"It's a completely different game when you are under pressure, but I really enjoyed it still and so happy to be at this tournament, even if my scoring didn't go so good. It's a great experience for me," Shevchenko told the European Tour website.

His playing partner, Frenchman Victor Riu, was the first-round leader in the second-tier Challenge Tour event after a sharply contrasting course-record 64.

"I am not a big fan of football so I didn't really know much about Andriy but it was great to play with him. There were a lot of people watching," the 28-year-old said.

Shevchenko wants to end on high note
Building St Andrews' new course
Obama golfs with 'Seinfeld' co-creator

"He was great. Every time I holed a putt he shook my hand or gave me a high five. He was really pushing me on to play better and cheering me when I made birdies so that was a really big help for me.

"I did put it up on Facebook that I was playing with him and it got a lot of responses, so I knew it was a big deal!

Shevchenko, who enjoyed most of his success with Italian club AC Milan, retired from football a year ago after Ukraine co-hosted the European Championships and has since dabbled in politics.

He entered this tournament as one of several amateurs in the 130-strong field, having initially taken up golf to help ease the pressure of playing elite football.

"I come on to a golf course and turn off my phone and just walk the course and hit some balls. It's one of the reasons why I started to play," he said Wednesday.

"I just found this great game where you have to be focused and balanced and that's why I like it. I like that mental balance."

Read: Shevchenko trades football for politics

Shevchenko did manage one birdie, but he carded a double bogey and dropped shots at 11 other holes at the Superior Golf and Spa Resort course, which is part of a luxury seven-star facility.

"To play with Victor and see him shoot a course record and play fantastic golf, I learned so much about the game from the two guys," he said.

Shevchenko isn't the only athlete to try his hand at pro golf following a successful career in another sport.

Former tennis No. 1 Yevgeny Kafelnikov became Russia's national champion in 2011 -- he is also in the field this weekend in Ukraine -- and eight-time grand slam tennis winner Ivan Lendl contested the Czech Open back in 1996.

After Lendl struck an 11-over-par 82 in the first round, he was quoted as saying by the Chicago Tribune that it was "five times worse than playing in a Wimbledon final."

Although similarly unlikely to make the halfway cut, and therefore miss out on the weekend action, Shevchenko is nonetheless proud to be participating in his country's first major golf tournament.

"It's the first event for me and also in Ukraine so it's big for golf here," he said. "I love golf and I'm so happy that golf is starting to pick up in Ukraine and the people are starting to invest money long term."

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:47 AM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
If golf has a reputation for being a bit stuffy, then the Bryan brothers and their trick shots are a much-needed blast of fresh air.
updated 8:18 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Not many people make the leap from teenage market trader to golf pro and fashion entrepreneur, but that's just what Ian Poulter has done.
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.