Group claims responsibility for car bomb targeting Egypt's interior minister

    Just Watched

    Egypt interior minister survives bombing

Egypt interior minister survives bombing 02:47

Story highlights

  • The Mujahedeen's Shura Council of Aknaf Bayt al-Maqdis posts a statement online
  • It says it carried out the attack in response to a "massacre" of Muslim Brotherhood supporters
  • Egyptian Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim was not hurt in the bombing

An armed group that operates in Gaza has claimed responsibility for last week's car bombing in Cairo that apparently targeted Egypt's interior minister.

In a statement posted online Sunday, the Mujahedeen's Shura Council of Aknaf Bayt al-Maqdis said it carried out the attack in response to the interim government's "massacre" of Muslim Brotherhood supporters.

Egyptian Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim was not hurt in the attack.

The bomb targeted the minister's motorcade Thursday in eastern Cairo, near Ibrahim's residence.

Egyptian state news agency EgyNews said four security personnel were injured, with one police officer having a leg amputated as a result of his injuries.

Cairo has witnessed wide unrest on its streets since former President Mohamed Morsy was ousted in July and an interim administration was installed by the military.

A crackdown last month by Egyptian authorities on Morsy supporters left hundreds of people dead.

    Suspend aid to Egypt, national security team tells Obama

    Egypt to try former President Mohamed Morsy