Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Period power: Talking to girls about 'Aunt Flo'

By Kelly Wallace, CNN
updated 12:12 PM EDT, Thu August 8, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Moms and girls are raving about a new ad focusing on a girl's first period
  • The ad has been seen nearly 5 million times in just a week
  • Moms share how they talk to their girls about their periods
  • Alternatives to tampons and pads are still not widely discussed

Editor's note: Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. She's a mom of two girls and lives in Manhattan. Read her other columns and follow her reports at CNN Parents and on Twitter.

(CNN) -- A few weeks ago, I was looking for tampons at a drugstore. I couldn't find any, so I approached a store employee.

Then something bizarre happened.

I lowered my voice, almost to a whisper, and asked, "The aisle for feminine products?"

"Feminine products"? The words just came out of the mouth. I'm 46, have had my period for more than 30 years and couldn't say the word "tampon."

I laughed at myself and thought about that moment when I saw "the Camp Gyno," the ad that has taken the Internet by storm, with nearly 5 million views on You Tube in one week alone.

In it, a tween is the first girl to get her period at camp, what she calls her "red badge of courage," and proudly sets out to teach her pals about this milestone. "For these campers, I was their Joan of Arc," she says. "It's like I'm Joan, and their vag is the arc."

Did she just say "vag" in an ad?

"I wasn't setting out with this incredible feminist agenda," said Naama Bloom, the creator of the ad and founder of a company called HelloFlo, which offers women a subscription service for monthly supplies of tampons and pads, and period starter kits for young girls.

Photos: 'Feminine hygiene' ads

"I just wanted to talk the way women talked and the way I talk and talk the way I am teaching my daughter to talk," said the mom of two.

Tired of running to the drugstore for another "emergency box of tampons" and then walking through her office with a "practically see-through plastic bag," Bloom declared on her website that her goal is to make the experience of a woman's period easier for women and less embarrassing and traumatic for girls.

"You found a way to make something that for years has been making girls feel shameful and turned it into a celebration," Bloom said, paraphrasing to me one of the countless "thank you" e-mails she has received.

Talking to your kids about sex

'Camp Gyno' ad about periods goes viral
'Camp Gyno' ad goes viral
This 1970s-era magazine advertisement for Modess sanitary napkins asks women to reconsider the feminine protection options their mothers passed along. Johnson & Johnson's Modess ads ran for decades. The campaign is best known for its "Modess because" ads, which featured glamorous models wearing evening gowns. This 1970s-era magazine advertisement for Modess sanitary napkins asks women to reconsider the feminine protection options their mothers passed along. Johnson & Johnson's Modess ads ran for decades. The campaign is best known for its "Modess because" ads, which featured glamorous models wearing evening gowns.
'Feminine hygiene' ads
HIDE CAPTION
Photos: \'Feminine hygiene\' ads Photos: 'Feminine hygiene' ads
Study: Boys starting puberty sooner

Shannon Bradley-Colleary, host of the hilarious blog the Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful, has watched the ad nearly a dozen times with her girls, ages 9 and 11, neither of whom has gotten her period.

"As I was watching this, I just thought what's great about it is that it demystifies and destigmatizes 'Flo' coming to town and that the girl's period is a source of pride and power," she said.

The ad is a great contrast to how she felt when she got her first period on a camping trip with her grandparents, Bradley-Colleary said, describing her grandfather as an "old cowboy from Utah."

"I literally ... smuggled my pads in, and I desperately hoped he wouldn't notice, because I was embarrassed."

Bradley-Colleary has talked to her girls about getting their periods, using the book "Asking About Sex and Growing Up" by Joanna Cole, author of the popular "Magic School Bus" series for kids, as a guide.

YA literature queen Judy Blume still draws a crowd

She wants them to know "all the facts," unlike her experience growing up and how she assumed you only get your period once.

"I said to my mother, 'I'm bleeding again.' And she said, 'Oh, OK, get your stuff.' And I said, 'But why? It was only supposed to happen one time.' And she started laughing. 'I'm sorry, honey, but it happens once a month.' "

Rebekah, who wanted to use only her first name to shield her daughter from any embarrassment by talking about her periods, started the conversation when her daughter was 8 because she comes from a "long line of early bloomers."

"I also came from a long line of people who didn't talk about any of those things whatsoever," said Rebekah, who got her period at 10. "When I had my daughter, I very much wanted to be sure that I didn't do the same thing to her. I wanted her to be completely prepared for it to happen even, to the point where she said to me, 'Will you please stop? You are freaking me out.' "

Study: More U.S. girls starting puberty early

Rebekah heard through the mom grapevine that the American Girl book "The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls" was a good resource. So she gave that book to her daughter and had a number of talks with her before and after she got her period, also at age 10.

"It amazes me how many people I have had this conversation with who haven't even started the conversation with their daughters," she said. "I mean, it's mind-boggling, because I look at their daughters, and I'm thinking, 'You are going to start your period.' "

Rachel Vail, author of a number of books for young teens including her latest, "Kiss Me Again," wrote an essay in an anthology about first periods called "My Little Red Book."

Her story was about "waiting and waiting" for it, she said. "And all of my friends had it, and I kept not growing, and I had no boobs," she remembers feeling at the time.

The mom of two boys says that based on what she hears from her young readers, people are a bit more comfortable nowadays talking about the subject.

"It's a little bit less of a taboo than it used to be, but as the mother of boys, I talk about it with them too because I think mothers of boys used to not talk (about it) ... and I think still moms of boys don't talk about it with their kids a lot," she said, remembering something a boy once asked her in high school.

" 'So if a boy started bleeding for a week, he'd be dead. Why don't you people die?' " Vail said.

Boys -- like girls -- hitting puberty earlier

As I was working on this story, I wondered why we, as grown women, don't really talk about our periods all that much either, other than to announce that "our friend" has arrived or to lament about PMS symptoms and the early signs of menopause.

For instance, have you ever asked your friends whether they use alternatives to tampons and pads, like cups and sponges -- products I didn't even know existed, I admit, before writing this story?

Theresa Albert, a 48-year-old food and health writer, said she learned there was life beyond tampons and pads only a year or two ago from a friend who was planning a weekend away. "She's like, 'I am going to have to pick up some soft cups, because I can use them and keep the flow from making the hotel messy.' And I was like, 'What's a soft cup?' "

Stay in touch!
Don't miss out on the conversation we're having at CNN Living. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest stories and tell us what's influencing your life.

The subject just doesn't come up that much, says Vail, because we, as women, have moved on to other concerns.

"As women, we feel like, 'All right, so I got tampons, and I'm good."

But just because women think we've got it all figured out doesn't mean our girls do -- and hopefully, we can share with them the range of period-related options.

And, who knows? Maybe ads like "Camp Gyno" will mean more of our girls won't be embarrassed to have "the talk."

Follow Kelly Wallace on Twitter and like CNN Living on Facebook.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:38 AM EDT, Thu September 18, 2014
Not knowing exactly where her ancestors come from has always bothered Kelly Wallace, but she's heartened to learn about some of the famous cousins she never knew she had.
updated 10:01 AM EDT, Wed September 17, 2014
Many superstar athletes from Michael Vick to Tiger Woods were ultimately forgiven by fans and the public. Could Ray Rice also get a second chance?
updated 10:27 AM EDT, Tue September 16, 2014
The indictment of NFL star Adrian Peterson on child abuse charges has revealed sharp differences in cultural, regional and generational attitudes toward using physical force to discipline kids.
updated 9:24 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
cara reedy
The world often treats little people like Cara Reedy as less than human. She's learned to stand up for herself and shout back.
updated 1:27 PM EDT, Fri September 19, 2014
The unheard voices of domestic abuse spoke up on CNN iReport when Rihanna's story of abuse came to light. In light of the Ray Rice controversy, we decided to bring back these stories that are still just as powerful as the day they were told.
updated 10:10 AM EDT, Wed September 10, 2014
More than 3 million children witness domestic violence every year, and the damage can last a lifetime.
updated 2:49 PM EDT, Wed September 17, 2014
As media outlets Monday circulated video of Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator, many wondered why the woman -- now his wife -- could remain with him.
updated 12:52 PM EDT, Thu September 4, 2014
The ways mother-daughter book clubs can help empower girls are the focus of a new book, "Her Next Chapter."
updated 9:44 AM EDT, Thu September 4, 2014
Colleges are working to prevent sexual assault by educating students on affirmative consent, or only "yes means yes."
updated 10:43 AM EDT, Fri September 5, 2014
A mom questions if she wants her daughters seeing a "sado-masochistic relationship, dressed up as a Hollywood love fantasy?"
updated 3:04 PM EDT, Fri August 29, 2014
In 2014, why is society still so incredibly uncomfortable with public breastfeeding? Kelly Wallace gets to the root of the controversy.
updated 10:42 AM EDT, Thu August 28, 2014
Seven years ago, Barbara Theodosiou, then a successful entrepreneur, stopped going to meetings, leaving the house and taking care of herself. She grew increasingly distraught -- her two children were addicts.
updated 9:04 AM EDT, Mon August 25, 2014
The situation in Ferguson, Missouri, after the police shooting of an unarmed black teenager, throws America's problem with talking about race into sharp relief.
updated 10:25 PM EDT, Wed August 20, 2014
Mo'ne Davis is the first girl to throw a shutout in the Little League World Series. She's an inspiration, but will she change the face of the sport?
updated 8:36 PM EDT, Mon August 18, 2014
There is a reason why when people post pictures of themselves during their middle school years on Facebook for "Throw Back Thursday," we all stop and take notice.
It could cost nearly a quarter of a million dollars to raise your child -- and that's not even including college costs, according to new government estimates.
updated 12:09 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
From parent to son, uncle to nephew, there's a raw, private conversation being revived in America in the wake of violence in Ferguson, Missouri.
updated 9:50 PM EDT, Wed August 13, 2014
Children sometimes get left out of our conversations about mental illness. The truth is, they suffer too.
updated 5:14 PM EDT, Tue August 12, 2014
CNN's Kat Kinsman says that talking freely about personal mental health and suicidal thoughts can help others.
updated 1:26 PM EDT, Tue August 12, 2014
morning person
Easy tips on how to improve everything from your dinner order to the song in your head to your career.
updated 1:33 PM EDT, Thu August 7, 2014
The case of an Arizona mom who left her kids in a car during a job interview highlights the fluid line between bad parenting and criminal behavior.
updated 3:41 PM EDT, Wed August 6, 2014
A children's book about gun rights has benefited from an unexpected boost in sales after it became the subject of a mocking segment on a talk show.
updated 11:05 AM EDT, Tue August 5, 2014
Some campers and counselors keep the campfire flames burning with summer flings that become lifetime commitments.
updated 7:43 AM EDT, Fri August 1, 2014
After letting her 7-year-old son walk from their home to a park to play, a Florida mother faces up to five years in jail for child neglect.
updated 3:16 PM EDT, Tue September 2, 2014
Lindsey Rogers-Seitz, who lost her son in a hot car, hopes mandatory technology in cars and car seats will stop child death from heatstroke in cars.
updated 10:42 AM EDT, Wed July 30, 2014
Not to mention your jeans, bras and pillows? Here's a definitive guide to keeping all your quarters clean.
Imagination Playgrounds have snaking tunnels, platforms and springy mats just like any other playground. But they're different in one fundamental way -- they're built by kids.
updated 11:35 AM EDT, Mon July 28, 2014
Grammy Award-winning singer Sarah McLachlan, a 46-year-old divorced mom of two girls, talks about parenting, sex and whether women can have it all.
updated 7:54 AM EDT, Wed July 23, 2014
Researchers say physical punishment actually alters the brain.
updated 4:41 PM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
The case of a South Carolina mother arrested for allegedly leaving her 9-year-old daughter at a park while she was working sparks debate over how young is too young to leave a child alone.
updated 11:15 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
CNN's Kelly Wallace reveals 5 common parenting mistakes that many parents admit to making.
updated 8:44 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Is it a bad idea for parents to let kids drink underage at home, or does an early sip make drinking less taboo? Studies are divided on the subject, which is a tough nut for parents to crack.
updated 10:04 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
Kids who takes cellphones to bed are not sleeping, says Mel Robbins. Make them park their phones with the parents at night
Post your personal essays and original photos, and tell us how it really is.
cnn, parents, parenting, logo
Get the latest kid-related buzz, confessions from imperfect parents and the download on the digital life of families here at CNN Parents.