Skip to main content

Rossi wins in Assen as teammate Lorenzo takes fifth with broken collarbone

updated 12:59 PM EDT, Sat June 29, 2013
Valentino Rossi returned to the top of the podium with a superb victory at Assen.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Valentino Rossi wins Dutch MotoGP at Assen
  • First victory for the Italian legend since 2010
  • Defending world champion Jorge Lorenzo races with broken collarbone
  • Spaniard finishes a brave fifth to stay in title hunt

(CNN) -- Valentino Rossi snapped a near three-year victory drought in MotoGP by claiming the Dutch round at Assen Saturday, but said the real "hero" had been his Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo who took a brave fifth with a broken collarbone.

The defending world champion crashed at 200kph in practice earlier this week and underwent an operation in Barcelona early Friday on his injuries.

Passed fit to race, he finished just behind fellow Spaniard and current title leader Dani Pedrosa to concede just two points in the overall standings, trailing him by nine after seven rounds.

Valentino Rossi

"For me he is the hero of the day," Rossi told the official MotoGP website.

"When he told me he was going to ride, I thought there was no way he could. Two days after a terrible accident and such an operation is amazing."

Read: Champion Lorenzo in high speed crash at Assen

But for the legendary Italian, it was also a welcome return to the top of the podium after two disappointing seasons with Ducati.

"I'm happy but I can't believe it and it's a great feeling to be back in first position," he admitted.

"It's been a long, long time since Sepang 2010 and during those years I've ask myself the question: 'Can I get back to first position?'

"But I've never given up and I've always worked hard because this is my passion. I love to ride and race motorcycles."

Lorenzo: Motorcycling is like dancing

It was the nine-time world champion's 80th victory in MotoGP, the premier class of motorcycling, and pushes him up to fifth in the overall standings, but still 51 points adrift of Pedrosa.

Marc Marquez of Spain finished second for Honda ahead Britain's Cal Clutchlow, who had claimed the first pole position of his career Friday.

Read: Dovizioso to replace Rossi at Ducati

Marquez is third in the overall standings, 23 points adrift of teammate Pedrosa, after riding with injuries of his own.

"I am, happy with the result given that I have a fractured small finger on my right hand and a broken big toe," he said.

But Marquez was unable to make much impression on Rossi, who took the checkered flag to a massive roar from the devoted motorcycling fans at one of the best attended races on the calendar.

The eighth round of the championship takes place in Germany in two weeks time.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 9:08 PM EDT, Fri March 14, 2014
The big winners of this Formula One season could be road drivers rather than F1 racers, according to one former world champion.
updated 1:30 PM EDT, Fri March 14, 2014
The Williams team welcomes the biggest rule changes to Formula One cars for a generation.
updated 3:16 PM EDT, Thu March 13, 2014
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton sums up the dawn of a new Formula One era in three juicy words -- weird, mind-blowing and challenging.
updated 8:16 AM EDT, Wed March 12, 2014
Formula One is taking another step in its techno evolution this season, which could be more unpredictable than it has been for a long time.
updated 5:55 PM EST, Mon February 24, 2014
Susie Wolff
Despite being a sport well into its seventh decade, only two women have ever driven in Formula 1 but Susie Wolff hopes to become the third.
updated 12:36 PM EST, Mon February 24, 2014
Jann Mardenborough on the similarities and differences between driving a race on a video game and driving a real F1 car.
updated 7:26 AM EST, Sat February 22, 2014
Russia's President Vladimir Putin watches the men's cross-country 4 x 10km relay event at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics on February 16, 2014. AFP PHOTO/ RIA-NOVOSTI/ POOL/ MIKHAIL KLIMENTYEV (Photo credit should read MIKHAIL KLIMENTYEV/AFP/Getty Images)
How Russian president Vladimir Putin helped turn a muddy hole in the ground into a $400 million futuristic grand prix track in Sochi.
updated 7:13 PM EST, Thu February 20, 2014
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin (R) and Formula One racing director Bernie Ecclestone talk during a ceremony of signing of an agreement to bring Formula One racing to Sochi for a Grand Prix Russia to be held in 2014, the same year the Black Sea resort hosts the Winter Olympics in Sochi on October 14, 2010. Putin, whose backing was crucial in Sochi winning the right to host the Games, is due in the city on Thursday to sign an agreement for work to begin on the construction of a new 200 million dollar circuit. AFP PHOTO/ ALEXANDER NEMENOV (Photo credit should read ALEXANDER NEMENOV/AFP/Getty Images)
Vilified by the the international community for his government's attitude on gay rights, Russian president Vladimir Putin has found an ally.
updated 7:17 AM EST, Wed January 22, 2014
CNN's Rosie Tomkins speaks to Caterham F1 owner Tony Fernandes on the team's driver line-up for 2014.
updated 12:13 PM EDT, Thu March 13, 2014
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel is bidding for a fifth consecutive drivers' championship in 2014.
He is Formula One's undisputed No. 1, and next season Sebastian Vettel will have proof of that fact emblazoned on his Red Bull.
updated 11:33 AM EST, Wed December 4, 2013
A new era of F1 looms large on the horizon in 2014, but what do the new rules mean for how we watch the sport? Get up to speed here.
updated 6:56 AM EDT, Thu October 17, 2013
Explore our interactive of one of F1's most important and complicated pieces of kit.