Skip to main content

Rossi wins in Assen as teammate Lorenzo takes fifth with broken collarbone

updated 12:59 PM EDT, Sat June 29, 2013
Valentino Rossi returned to the top of the podium with a superb victory at Assen.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Valentino Rossi wins Dutch MotoGP at Assen
  • First victory for the Italian legend since 2010
  • Defending world champion Jorge Lorenzo races with broken collarbone
  • Spaniard finishes a brave fifth to stay in title hunt

(CNN) -- Valentino Rossi snapped a near three-year victory drought in MotoGP by claiming the Dutch round at Assen Saturday, but said the real "hero" had been his Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo who took a brave fifth with a broken collarbone.

The defending world champion crashed at 200kph in practice earlier this week and underwent an operation in Barcelona early Friday on his injuries.

Passed fit to race, he finished just behind fellow Spaniard and current title leader Dani Pedrosa to concede just two points in the overall standings, trailing him by nine after seven rounds.

Valentino Rossi

"For me he is the hero of the day," Rossi told the official MotoGP website.

"When he told me he was going to ride, I thought there was no way he could. Two days after a terrible accident and such an operation is amazing."

Read: Champion Lorenzo in high speed crash at Assen

But for the legendary Italian, it was also a welcome return to the top of the podium after two disappointing seasons with Ducati.

"I'm happy but I can't believe it and it's a great feeling to be back in first position," he admitted.

"It's been a long, long time since Sepang 2010 and during those years I've ask myself the question: 'Can I get back to first position?'

"But I've never given up and I've always worked hard because this is my passion. I love to ride and race motorcycles."

Lorenzo: Motorcycling is like dancing

It was the nine-time world champion's 80th victory in MotoGP, the premier class of motorcycling, and pushes him up to fifth in the overall standings, but still 51 points adrift of Pedrosa.

Marc Marquez of Spain finished second for Honda ahead Britain's Cal Clutchlow, who had claimed the first pole position of his career Friday.

Read: Dovizioso to replace Rossi at Ducati

Marquez is third in the overall standings, 23 points adrift of teammate Pedrosa, after riding with injuries of his own.

"I am, happy with the result given that I have a fractured small finger on my right hand and a broken big toe," he said.

But Marquez was unable to make much impression on Rossi, who took the checkered flag to a massive roar from the devoted motorcycling fans at one of the best attended races on the calendar.

The eighth round of the championship takes place in Germany in two weeks time.

Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
updated 10:43 AM EDT, Thu July 3, 2014
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
updated 7:10 PM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
updated 8:33 AM EDT, Thu May 22, 2014
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
updated 10:59 AM EDT, Wed May 21, 2014
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
updated 11:00 AM EDT, Thu May 1, 2014
TO GO WITH AFP STORY IN ARABIC BY SUHEIL HOWAYEK: (FILES) Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna adjusts his rear view mirror in the pits 01 May 1994 before the start of the San Marino Grand Prix. Senna died after crashing in the seventh lap. Some 45 drivers, including Senna and Canadian Gilles Villeneuve, have been killed during Formula One races whose tracks are dubbed by some as the 'circuits of death.' AFP PHOTO/JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU (Photo credit should read JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU/AFP/Getty Images)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
updated 11:16 AM EDT, Wed April 30, 2014
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Fri April 25, 2014
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Susie Wolff, pictured, will become the Formula One's first female competitor in 20 years when she takes part in the first practice sessions at the British and German grands prix in July.
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.