- About $200,000 among friends will buy you a weeklong Mediterranean dream
- Many of the island rental options offer more affordable rates if you share with strangers
- Island rentals range from pristine beach havens in Fiji to quiet fishing outposts in Georgia
(CNN)When even the most secluded beach on the mainland is too crowded, there's always the option of renting a private island for your vacation. Really.
1. Vomo Island, Fiji
Garden villas for two run about $1,000 per night; beachfront villas cost about $1,300 per night.
2. Isola de Li Galli, Italy
3. Guana Island, British Virgin Islands
If a five-digit price tag is not in the budget (and is pretty much permanently out of the question), you can forgo reserving the entire island and share the 850-acre expanse with a few dozen other guests. Rates for a cottage or villa for two start at about $700 and $1,500, respectively.
4. Rubondo Island, Lake Victoria, Tanzania
Can't find 15 takers for this trip? Don't fret, there's a starting per-person nightly rate of $620 for double occupancy that includes meals, drinks and activities.
5. Madivaru Island, Maldives
Tent villa rates start at $2,355 per night. The special whole-island rate may be the most economical option this summer -- provided you can round up a group, airfare and about $40,000.
6. Orca Island, Alaska
The 2013 per-person rate is $215 per night for a two-night minimum, based on double occupancy. In 2014, that rate will be $225 per person, per night.
7. Eagle Island, Georgia
Why not gather a dozen friends for a weekly rental? Six nights run $3,300.