Serbia's president declines to define killing of 8,000 in Srebrenica as 'genocide'

Serbian president Tomislav Nikolic is pictured in Belgrade on January 16, 2012.

Story highlights

  • President Tomislav Nikolic apologized on Bosnian TV
  • "I kneel and ask for forgiveness," he said
  • About 8,000 Muslims, mostly boys and men, were killed in Srebrenica
  • The killings occurred over a period of five days in July 1995

Serbia's president apologized Thursday for the 1995 massacre of 8,000 Muslims in the Bosnian town of Srebrenica, but declined to characterize the killings as an act of genocide.

"I kneel and ask for forgiveness," President Tomislav Nikolic told Bosnian TV. "I apologize for the crimes committed by any person in the name of Serbia."

Nikolic came under fire last year short after he was elected by declaring, according to published reports, there was no "genocide" in Srebrenica.

He has since been urged by Bosnian leaders to acknowledge the killings, which the prosecutors at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia have described as a systematic extermination.

Over a period of five days in July 1995, the Bosnian Serb army conducted a brutal takeover of the town. About 8,000 men and boys were rounded up and killed, with many buried in mass graves.

Srebrenica the focus of Mladic trial
Srebrenica the focus of Mladic trial

    JUST WATCHED

    Srebrenica the focus of Mladic trial

MUST WATCH

Srebrenica the focus of Mladic trial 02:55

At the time of the massacre, Srebrenica had been designated a U.N. "safe area" for people, predominantly Bosnian Muslims, trying to escape the advancing Bosnian Serb army.

The people of Srebrenica, which sits a short distance from the Serbian border, were protected by just 100 lightly equipped Dutch peacekeepers. Without reinforcements, the Dutch were forced to stand aside while Serb troops took the town.

Then-Bosnian Serb commander-in-chief Gen. Ratko Mladic -- now on trial on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity -- allegedly told one woman everyone taken out of Srebrenica would be reunited with their loved ones, according to Serbian TV footage previously shown in court.

Truckloads of men and boys were taken from Srebrenica to execution sites where they were bound, blindfolded, and shot with automatic rifles, prosecutors contend.

In the aftermath of the massacre, the United Nations gave NATO the authority to launch large-scale airstrikes against Serb targets, a move that eventually forced the Serbs to the negotiating table.

      Ratko Mladic Trial

    • WITH AFP STORY BOSNIA-WAR-ANNIVERSARY (FILES) A 11 July 1995 file photo shows an elderly Muslim woman and her husband getting treatment for injuries inflicted on them by Serb military forces as they fled the east Bosnian enclave of Srebrenica as it was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces and saw some 7000 men go missing allegedly massacred in the hands of indicted war criminal Ratko Mladic. The man on the right died shortly after the picture was taken. Bosnia on April 6, 2012 marks 20 years since the start of a war that has left the country's Muslims, Serbs and Croats deeply divided as some warn it could become Europe's failed state. AFP PHOTO/Odd ANDERSEN (Photo credit should read ODD ANDERSEN/AFP/Getty Images)

      Women of Srebrenica vs. Mladic

      With 8,000 murders in Srebrenica alone, the victims' widows and mothers of these atrocities occupy the moral high ground in this battle.
    • WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 2: David Scheffer, US Ambassador at large for war crimes points to a wanted poster showing Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic, Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic during a press conference 02 March 2000 at the US State Department in Washington, DC. The State Department is stepping up its efforts for the arrest and conviction of the three who were indicted last May by an international tribunal in the Netherlands for alleged crimes against ethnic Albanians in Kososvo. (Photo credit should read GEORGE BRIDGES/AFP/Getty Images)

      Timeline: 16-year hunt for Mladic

      Mladic's arrest in Serbia brought to an end a 16-year manhunt for the highest-profile suspect still at large from the Balkan wars of the 1990s.
    • robertson bosnia journos then now_00000230

      Dodging bullets to get to work

      Nic Robertson follows up with two journalists who decided to stay in Sarajevo after the war. They describe the dangers of living in a city under siege.