Ferguson: Rooney will be at Manchester United next season

Wayne Rooney will not be leaving Old Trafford insisted his manager Alex Ferguson as he promised the striker would be at the club next season.

Story highlights

  • Alex Ferguson dismisses reports that Wayne Rooney leaving Man Utd
  • Ferguson says England striker will be at Old Trafford next season
  • Confirms he will play some part in FA Cup tie with Chelsea Sunday
  • Mario Balotelli scores again for AC Milan in Genoa win

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has dismissed reports that Wayne Rooney could be leaving the English Premier League leaders as "absolute rubbish" and insisted Friday the striker would be at Old Trafford next season.

Rooney, who has two years left on his contract at United, was surprisingly left on the bench for Tuesday's 2-1 home defeat to Real Madrid in the Champions League last 16, with Danny Welbeck preferred.

Ferguson claimed the decision was "completely tactical" with the aim of blunting the creativity of Real midfielder Xabi Alonso and was not as a result of a rift with Rooney.

Read: Ronaldo winner after Nani sees red

"We don't always get it right but I think we did get it right.," Ferguson told the official Manchester United website.

"Danny Welbeck is the best player we have in terms of operating in a double role."

Will Mourinho replace Ferguson?
Will Mourinho replace Ferguson?

    JUST WATCHED

    Will Mourinho replace Ferguson?

MUST WATCH

Will Mourinho replace Ferguson? 00:39
PLAY VIDEO
Wenger: A good business man?
Wenger: A good business man?

    JUST WATCHED

    Wenger: A good business man?

MUST WATCH

Wenger: A good business man? 00:44
PLAY VIDEO

He went on: "There is absolutely no issue between Wayne Rooney and I. To suggest we don't talk to each other on the training ground is absolute nonsense."

United take on Chelsea in the quarterfinals of the English FA Cup Sunday and Ferguson confirmed the 27-year-old Rooney, signed from Everton in 2004, would play some part and was there to stay.

"Wayne will be here next year," he promised.

"You have my word on that. I have no issues at all with the player and he'll be involved on Sunday."

Rooney threatened to leave the Red Devils in October 2010, but was talked out of it by Ferguson, pledging his future to United with a lucrative new contract.

Read: Rooney puts pen to new United deal

He had been linked with a move across Manchester to arch rivals Manchester City, who pipped them to the EPL title last season.

City manager Roberto Mancini appeared to rule out any attempt to sign Rooney this time around when he addressed reporters Friday.

Alex Ferguson: 'Racism still exists'
Alex Ferguson: 'Racism still exists'

    JUST WATCHED

    Alex Ferguson: 'Racism still exists'

MUST WATCH

Alex Ferguson: 'Racism still exists' 03:29
PLAY VIDEO
Man U. looks for another title
Man U. looks for another title

    JUST WATCHED

    Man U. looks for another title

MUST WATCH

Man U. looks for another title 03:42
PLAY VIDEO

Mancini said: "I don't know. I don't know this situation. I can understand Rooney would be upset if he didn't play but these are things that can happen in every team. After one week it is finished

"I think that Rooney is one of the best strikers in Europe but I think it is difficult he can leave Man United," added the Italian.

Meanwhile, Mario Balotelli, the striker let go by Mancini in the transfer window, continued his excellent start to his AC Milan career.

Balotelli, a second half substitute for Gianpaolo Pazzini, who had put Milan ahead at Genoa Friday night, scored the second to seal the three points.

It was his fifth Serie A goal in five games since joining Milan, who had to play the last 25 minutes without defender Kevin Constant, who was red carded.

It leaves them two points behind second placed Napoli ahead of the weekend fixtures.

      Football Focus

    • French football great bids adieu

      After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
    • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

      He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
    • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

      Loss of a South African 'icon'

      Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
    • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

      From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

      Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
    • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

      One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
    • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

      Should rapist return to work?

      Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
    • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

      Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.