Skip to main content

Brooklyn fatal crash suspect charged

By Julie Cannold and Lawrence Crook, CNN
updated 9:39 PM EST, Thu March 7, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Julio Acevedo to be arraigned Thursday night
  • He'll be charged with vehicular manslaughter and other charges in a fatal hit-and-run
  • A Brooklyn couple died; their couple's unborn son was delivered alive, but died the next day
  • He waived arraignment in Pennsylvania earlier Thursday

New York (CNN) -- The suspect in the weekend hit-and-run crash that killed a Brooklyn couple and their unborn child faces vehicular manslaughter and other charges after being sent back from Pennsylvania, New York police said Thursday.

Julio Acevedo, 44, now faces charges of vehicular manslaughter, three counts of criminally negligent homicide and three counts of leaving the scene of an accident, the New York Police Department announced. He was scheduled to be arraigned late Thursday night in Brooklyn.

Acevedo was sent back to New York earlier in the day, after a brief hearing in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He was arrested Wednesday in nearby Bethlehem in connection with the Sunday wreck that killed Nathan and Raizy Glauber, both 21.

Raizy Glauber was pregnant, and the couple's baby boy was delivered by caesarean section but died the next day, police said. Police say Acevedo ran away from the scene, and it wasn't immediately clear how investigators identified him as the suspect.

Acevedo was arrested after a friend helped facilitate his surrender in the crowded parking lot of a convenience store in Bethlehem, New York Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said. During Thursday morning's hearing, he said he is currently unemployed and living with his mother in Brooklyn, Judge Kelly Banach said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT