Sixth suspect in India rape case to be tried as juvenile

Protesters in New Delhi light candles around a mannequin representing the rape victim during a rally in late December.

Story highlights

  • Authorities say sixth India rape suspect is a juvenile
  • The 17-year-old will be tried in juvenile court, authorities say
  • Five adult suspects are being tried in a "fast-tracK" court
  • The 23-year-old victim died from her injuries

The sixth suspect in the gang rape and killing of a 23-year-old woman is a minor and will be tried in juvenile court, police said Monday.

The 17-year-old boy, whose name has not been released, was arrested by police in December and accused of taking part in the December 16 assault aboard a New Delhi bus.

Police said the suspects attacked the woman and her male companion on a bus, robbed them and dumped them by the side of the road.

The woman was badly injured in the attack. She died two weeks later after being flown to Singapore for treatment. The man survived.

Riding with Delhi police

    Just Watched

    Riding with Delhi police

Riding with Delhi police 02:59
PLAY VIDEO
Changing the male mindset in India

    Just Watched

    Changing the male mindset in India

Changing the male mindset in India 02:27
PLAY VIDEO

The five adult suspects are being tried in a "fast-track" court designed to bypass red tape.

Hearings began last week, but details about what happens in court cannot be reported under a judge's ruling imposing restrictions on coverage of the case.

The case has gripped India and led to calls for stricter laws on sexual assault and changes in cultural attitudes toward women in India, where most women have stories of sexual harassment and abuse on public transportation or on the streets, according to the Indian Council on Global Relations.