Skip to main content

Backlash prompts Newtown survivor's attorney to pull lawsuit, for now

By CNN Staff
updated 10:41 AM EST, Wed January 2, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Attorney's filing: State failed to protect his client from "foreseeable harm"
  • He withdrew the request amid online and community outcry
  • His client had been seeking $100 million in damages

(CNN) -- Outcry over a request for permission to sue the state of Connecticut for millions of dollars in the aftermath of the Newtown shooting prompted a New Haven attorney to at least temporarily withdraw his client's petition, the attorney said Tuesday.

"I was getting hundreds of (Facebook) comments" about the potential lawsuit. "So I figured I'd take (the request) off the table for now," said Irving Pinsky, who represents the parents of a 6-year-old survivor of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school.

Last week, Pinsky said in his filing that the state had failed to protect his client from what he described as "foreseeable harm."

Since then, a flurry of online comments -- many of which surfaced on Pinsky's Facebook page -- blasted the potential lawsuit and accused Pinsky and his client of trying to profit from last month's tragedy.

Read more: Shooter's body claimed

Helping Newtown heal
Newtown United takes on gun violence
Blumenthal: 'No single simple solution'

"If it is not about money, please put out a public statement outlining all the steps that have been taken and avenues exhausted PRIOR to the lawsuit path," wrote John A. Yasnowski, a Facebook user. "Please share your advocacy plan. Please share the intended use of the money (if any)."

The girl, identified only as Jill Doe, was at the school and apparently heard everything from gunfire to screaming over the intercom, Pinsky wrote in his Thursday letter to the state claims commissioner.

He said that the State Board of Education, Connecticut Department of Education and State Commissioner of Education were negligent in protecting his client by not providing a safe setting, failing to determine whether the local Newtown Board of Education had provided a safe setting, and failing to require the school and the local board to make an emergency response plan.

His client had been seeking $100 million in damages.

Interactive: Remembering the victims

But Pinsky said Tuesday that "nervousness" among Newtown residents was also a motivator in dropping his client's request to sue the state, which has immunity against most lawsuits unless it grants permission for a claim.

He declined to elaborate, though said "we reserve all rights to bring up this request again," in spite of complaints and threats he says he's received.

"I always figure no matter how many death threats I get, it's less than what the little league umpires get," said Pinsky.

On December 14, 20-year-old Adam Lanza smashed his way into the elementary school and killed 20 children, all 6 or 7 years old, and six adults, and then killed himself as police closed in.

Authorities later discovered he killed his mother before going to the school in what eventually became one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history.

"Everybody says they want the state to do the best investigation they can (into how this happened) and I can help them," Pinsky told CNN. "I know the Connecticut DA's office is very good, and now they will take on the investigation because it might cost the state some money" otherwise.

Complete coverage

CNN's Pauline Kim contributed to this report

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
updated 3:30 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Though Congress hasn't passed any gun reform laws in the two years since the Sandy Hook massacre, there's one senator who's made it his mission to push for changes.
updated 2:14 PM EST, Sun November 23, 2014
Adam Lanza was an isolated young man with deteriorating mental health and a fascination for mass violence, according to a report released by a Connecticut state agency.
updated 10:58 AM EST, Sat December 14, 2013
Horror struck Newtown, Connecticut, in such a disturbing way that the nation still struggles with its impact a year later.
updated 7:20 AM EDT, Sat June 8, 2013
Fifty miles from Newtown, workers hate that their products fall into the wrong hand. But the Second Amendment is sacred here.
Rabbi Shaul Praver says people in Newtown have grown weary of syrupy condolences.
updated 7:18 AM EDT, Sat June 8, 2013
Congress may have defeated tighter gun laws, but states have been passing bills of their own in the wake of Newtown
Details continue to emerge about what precisely happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Here is a timeline of events that compiles the latest reporting.
An interactive tribute to the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
updated 1:12 AM EDT, Sat May 25, 2013
The public school district will receive $1.3 million to help the community recover from the , U.S. Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan announced.
updated 9:53 AM EDT, Fri March 29, 2013
Police released new documents related to the shootings last year at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, but a motive for the attack by the troubled young man remained elusive.
updated 11:26 AM EST, Tue January 15, 2013
His parents remember Dylan Hockley as such a happy child.
updated 10:17 AM EST, Wed December 19, 2012
Amid the chaos that first-responder Ray Corbo witnessed on Friday, there is one image that he will never forget.
updated 10:02 AM EST, Thu December 20, 2012
In many ways, Josh Stepakoff's childhood came to an abrupt halt at 10:49 a.m. on August 10, 1999.
updated 9:40 AM EST, Thu December 20, 2012
When Lauren Rousseau's boyfriend wakes up, he can smell her perfume.
updated 10:30 AM EST, Tue December 18, 2012
Placing yourself in the path of flying bullets to protect innocents. It's a job description fitting for a soldier or police officer, but not for a school teacher.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT