Skip to main content

McIlroy and Donald lead in Dubai

updated 10:34 AM EST, Fri November 23, 2012
Rory McIlroy shot a round of 67 to finish joint-top of the leaderboard after the second day of the World Tour Championship.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald lead the way after second day in Dubai
  • Scotland's 189th ranked Marc Warren also level with leaders on 11-under
  • Sergio Garcia equals course record of 64 following round of eight-under
  • South African duo Louis Oosthuizen and Branden Grace a shot off the lead

(CNN) -- Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald look set to fight it out for the $8million prize at the World Tour Championship after finishing level at the top of the leaderboard Friday.

The pair, who are joined on 11-under by Scotland's world No.189 Marc Warren, are in pole position after another impressive day on the Earth course.

World no.1 McIlroy, who revealed that he had been suffering with the extreme heat, looked in top form with tennis ace girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki smiling on from the gallery.

Top two dominate in Dubai

"I didn't feel great last night, but I felt much better this morning and felt nearly 100 % on the golf course," McIlroy told reporters.

Tiger and Rory talk friendly competition
Exclusive: Tiger and Rory's 'bromance'
Ochoa: Motherhood has changed me

"I guess it's just us Irish and the skin just not used to this sort of sun. That's my excuse anyway.

"I played well. I continued to drive the ball really well and gave myself plenty of opportunities. It was a solid round and obviously, puts me in a good position going into the weekend.

"I am as motivated as I have been the whole year and I am not going to let it drop just for this week."

McIlroy clinches money list double

It was another successful day for Englishman Donald, who hit a bogey-free round of 68 with two birdies on either half of the course.

"I haven't dropped a shot in 36 holes, so that feels really good," he said.

"But it wasn't quite as good on the greens today...I had some opportunities on a few holes that I just misread."

While the world's top two have dominated, the emergence of Warren has come of something of a surprise, not least to the man himself.

"It was nice to be the Scot in that pack with the Englishman and the Northern Irishman," said Warren, who is ranked 55th in the Race to Dubai.

"It's great to be in contention with guys like that. I just looked at the leaderboard and kind of enjoyed it really.

"At the same time, I am just trying to stay patient and keep doing what I am doing. I am really looking forward to the weekend."

While the top three stole the headlines, it was Spain's Sergio Garcia who carded the round of the day after equalling the course record of eight-under 64.

Elsewhere, South African pair Louis Oosthuizen (67) and Branden Grace (65) sit a shot off the lead with Masters champion Charl Schwartzel (67) and Scotsman Richie Ramsay (68) tied for sixth at nine-under par.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:47 AM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
If golf has a reputation for being a bit stuffy, then the Bryan brothers and their trick shots are a much-needed blast of fresh air.
updated 8:18 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Not many people make the leap from teenage market trader to golf pro and fashion entrepreneur, but that's just what Ian Poulter has done.
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.