Skip to main content

McIlroy and Donald lead in Dubai

updated 10:34 AM EST, Fri November 23, 2012
Rory McIlroy shot a round of 67 to finish joint-top of the leaderboard after the second day of the World Tour Championship.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald lead the way after second day in Dubai
  • Scotland's 189th ranked Marc Warren also level with leaders on 11-under
  • Sergio Garcia equals course record of 64 following round of eight-under
  • South African duo Louis Oosthuizen and Branden Grace a shot off the lead

(CNN) -- Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald look set to fight it out for the $8million prize at the World Tour Championship after finishing level at the top of the leaderboard Friday.

The pair, who are joined on 11-under by Scotland's world No.189 Marc Warren, are in pole position after another impressive day on the Earth course.

World no.1 McIlroy, who revealed that he had been suffering with the extreme heat, looked in top form with tennis ace girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki smiling on from the gallery.

Top two dominate in Dubai

"I didn't feel great last night, but I felt much better this morning and felt nearly 100 % on the golf course," McIlroy told reporters.

Tiger and Rory talk friendly competition
Exclusive: Tiger and Rory's 'bromance'
Ochoa: Motherhood has changed me

"I guess it's just us Irish and the skin just not used to this sort of sun. That's my excuse anyway.

"I played well. I continued to drive the ball really well and gave myself plenty of opportunities. It was a solid round and obviously, puts me in a good position going into the weekend.

"I am as motivated as I have been the whole year and I am not going to let it drop just for this week."

McIlroy clinches money list double

It was another successful day for Englishman Donald, who hit a bogey-free round of 68 with two birdies on either half of the course.

"I haven't dropped a shot in 36 holes, so that feels really good," he said.

"But it wasn't quite as good on the greens today...I had some opportunities on a few holes that I just misread."

While the world's top two have dominated, the emergence of Warren has come of something of a surprise, not least to the man himself.

"It was nice to be the Scot in that pack with the Englishman and the Northern Irishman," said Warren, who is ranked 55th in the Race to Dubai.

"It's great to be in contention with guys like that. I just looked at the leaderboard and kind of enjoyed it really.

"At the same time, I am just trying to stay patient and keep doing what I am doing. I am really looking forward to the weekend."

While the top three stole the headlines, it was Spain's Sergio Garcia who carded the round of the day after equalling the course record of eight-under 64.

Elsewhere, South African pair Louis Oosthuizen (67) and Branden Grace (65) sit a shot off the lead with Masters champion Charl Schwartzel (67) and Scotsman Richie Ramsay (68) tied for sixth at nine-under par.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:51 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
It's a big dilemma: Be with your wife for the birth of your first child, or stay at work and try to earn $11 million. For Billy Horschel, it's a no-brainer.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
She's just 19 but Hyo Joo Kim is already showing she's ready for the big time after recording the lowest ever round at a major championship.
updated 1:06 PM EDT, Wed September 10, 2014
Masters champion Bubba Watson says winning the $10 million FedEx Cup jackpot would bring forward his retirement from the game.
updated 7:31 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
EVIAN-LES-BAINS, FRANCE - SEPTEMBER 15: A view of the 14th green during the third round of The Evian Championship at the Evian Resort Golf Club on September 15, 2013 in Evian-les-Bains, France. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
The world's top women golfers will be chasing a $3.25 million prize purse at one of the most stunning courses on the LPGA Tour.
updated 8:19 AM EDT, Wed September 3, 2014
Tom Watson selects Keegan Bradley, Hunter Mahan and Webb Simpson as his wildcard picks for the Ryder Cup contest with Europe.
updated 9:52 AM EDT, Tue September 2, 2014
Ian Poulter kept Europe clinging on in their Ryder Cup battle with the United States in Chicago.
Ian Poulter, who has constantly haunted the U.S. in Ryder Cup golf, is back after being chosen as a wildcard by European captain Paul McGinley.
updated 11:40 AM EDT, Mon August 25, 2014
Tiger Woods has split with his longtime coach Sean Foley after not winning a major during their four-year tenure.
updated 7:05 AM EDT, Mon August 11, 2014
Success just keeps on coming for Rory McIlroy, but the world No. 1 is already targeting more titles following his second PGA Championship win.
updated 10:24 AM EDT, Fri August 8, 2014
From Seve's "spine-shivering" moment to Jack Nicklaus' "perfect explosion," David Cannon has captured many of golf's defining images.
updated 9:20 AM EDT, Thu August 7, 2014
They came home as casualties of war -- physically shattered and mentally broken. But golf is proving to be an unlikely salvation for U.S. veterans.
updated 8:31 AM EDT, Tue August 5, 2014
You are the one hitting the shots, but the man standing over your shoulder could hold the key to your golfing destiny.
updated 8:27 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
PINEHURST, NC - JUNE 10: Rory McIlroy (R) of Northern Ireland talks with his dad Gerry McIlroy (L) during a practice round prior to the start of the 114th U.S. Open at Pinehurst Resort & Country Club, Course No. 2 on June 10, 2014 in Pinehurst, North Carolina. (Photo by Andrew Redington/Getty Images)
He has been there for all three of his son's major wins, but the latest triumph may well have been the sweetest yet for Rory McIlroy's father.