Skip to main content

Ronaldo admits perceived arrogance has cost him

From Pedro Pinto, CNN
updated 12:00 PM EST, Thu November 8, 2012
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Cristiano Ronaldo tells CNN that his "arrogant" image has cost him
  • The 27-year-old believes he has become a "victim" of his critics
  • Portugal star last won the Ballon d'Or in 2008 while at Manchester United
  • Real Madrid forward says he would like to face his detractors

(CNN) -- Cristiano Ronaldo believes his "arrogant" image has prevented him from capturing the hearts of football fans across the globe.

In an exclusive interview with CNN, the Real Madrid forward reveals how his onfield demeanor has left him sitting in the shadow of the sport's golden boy and fans' favorite, Lionel Messi.

"I don't want to cry about it, but sometimes I think yes," said Ronaldo after being asked whether his image had cost him in the past.

Cristiano Ronaldo: I'm better than Messi
Ronaldo: Winning title career high point
Mourinho on the enigma of Balotelli

"It's a question to which I never give the 100% right answer, because sometimes I really don't know.

"I don't think it's allowed for people to change my personality.

"Maybe sometimes, I agree that I have a bad image on the pitch because I'm too serious."

Ronaldo and Messi will go head-to-head for the prestigious Ballon d'Or in January, with the Barcelona star having won the award on each of the previous three occasions.

Barca's unbeaten run ended by Celtic

Both men have taken the sport to a new level with their record goalscoring feats -- Ronaldo has scored an astonishing 164 times in 160 appearances for the Spanish champions, while Messi hit 50 in La Liga alone last term.

Ronaldo, who won the Ballon d'Or in 2008 when at Manchester United, led Madrid to the league title last season and has scored in his past six successive El Clasicos.

The 27-year-old Portugal star is unhappy with how he's often portrayed in the media compared to more "loveable" Messi and says he has become a "victim."

"But if you really know me, if you are my friend and I leave you inside my house and you share the day with me, you will know I hate to lose," he said.

"I learn by my mistakes and that's life. You know, sometimes I'm a victim of that because they don't know the real Cristiano.

"But, this is part of the life. This is me."

Messi leads Ballon d'Or nominations

While Messi often plays with a smile on his face like a kid in the schoolyard, Ronaldo is often seen moaning, gesticulating and scowling while trying to inspire Real to victory.

Daniel Craig and Cristiano Ronaldo have both been outspoken in their desire to reclaim a right to privacy. Both men have become frustrated with their treatment in public. Daniel Craig and Cristiano Ronaldo have both been outspoken in their desire to reclaim a right to privacy. Both men have become frustrated with their treatment in public.
007 and CR7
HIDE CAPTION
The Real Ronaldo The Real Ronaldo
Barcelona fans hold letters forming the word 'Independencia' and wave Catalan 'Estelada' independence flags in the match against Real Madrid. Barcelona fans hold letters forming the word 'Independencia' and wave Catalan 'Estelada' independence flags in the match against Real Madrid.
Independence day
HIDE CAPTION
Spanish heavyweights battle El Clasico draw Spanish heavyweights battle El Clasico draw
Lionel Messi's hat-trick against Granada took his tally for Barcelona to 234 and past the club's previous highest scorer, Cesar Rodriguez, who notched 232. The 24-year-old secured the record with this cheeky chip. Lionel Messi's hat-trick against Granada took his tally for Barcelona to 234 and past the club's previous highest scorer, Cesar Rodriguez, who notched 232. The 24-year-old secured the record with this cheeky chip.
Record breaker
HIDE CAPTION
Messi\'s record-breaking career Messi's record-breaking career

But he insists that his competitive nature should not be mistaken for arrogance.

"I was in the swimming pool with my girlfriend and sometimes we like to have a race," he said.

"Sometimes you have to give her an opportunity to be happy but I win because I don't like to lose.

"It's simple like that. Can you imagine me on the pitch playing against players, playing against other teams, it's not allowed to let them win.

"I'm a competitive man and sometimes people interpret that in a different way, which is a pain on me because I don't like it, but I have to live."

Messi and Ronaldo ensure honors shared in 222nd El Clasico

While many sports stars are keen to stay clear of their critics, Ronaldo is keen to embrace his and attempt to transform their opinions in the future.

"People who call me arrogant, I'm interested -- not with all of them, but most of them," he added.

"One day I would like to sit with them and have a chat to see in which way they think I'm arrogant.

"You know, to have a chat, in a nice place and for them to get to know me, you understand?

"Because I think they need to sit with me to know who the real Cristiano is."

Part of complete coverage on
updated 6:23 AM EST, Tue December 16, 2014
After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
updated 5:14 AM EST, Fri December 19, 2014
They do things differently at Sociedad Deportiva Eibar, up in the mist-cloaked valleys of the Basque country. And it is working.
updated 8:53 AM EST, Wed December 10, 2014
He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
updated 8:53 AM EDT, Tue October 28, 2014
How Real Madrid's new stadium will look
They splash the cash on the world's best players, now Real Madrid are giving the Bernabeu the same treatment with a bling makeover.
updated 9:09 AM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
updated 9:48 AM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
A man as a Roman centurion and who earn his living by posing with tourists gestures in front of the Colosseum during a protest where some of his colleagues climbed on the monument on April 12, 2012 in Rome. The costumed centurions are asking for the right to work there after they were banned following a decision by local authorities.
From the ancient ruins of Rome, a new empire rises. But the eyes of the city's newest gladiator light up at thoughts of the Colosseum.
updated 12:22 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
updated 10:11 AM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
updated 2:19 PM EDT, Sat October 18, 2014
Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.
Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
updated 8:47 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
After 10 years of golden glory, it's easy to see how Lionel Messi has taken his place among the football gods.
updated 6:34 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
A football fan wipes a tear after Inter Milan's Argentinian defender Javier Zanetti has greeted fans following the announcement of his retirement before the start of the Italian seria A football match Inter Milan vs Lazio, on May 10, 2014, in San Siro Stadium In Milan
When will the tears stop? A leading Italian football club is pursuing a new direction -- under the guidance of its new Indonesian owner.
updated 6:41 PM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.
updated 9:10 AM EDT, Fri October 10, 2014
After revolutionizing cricket with its glitzy Twenty20 league, India has now thrown large sums of money at a new football venture.
updated 10:53 AM EDT, Thu October 2, 2014
Get ruthless. That is Rio Ferdinand's message to soccer's authorities in the fight to tackle the scourge of racism.
updated 9:28 AM EDT, Wed September 10, 2014
A picture taken on May 16, 2014 shows 15-year-old Norwegian footballer Martin Oedegaard of club Stroemsgodset IF cheering during a match in Drammen, Norway. Oedegaard is set to become Norways youngest player ever in the national football team.
He's just 15 and the world is seemingly already at his feet. Norway's Martin Odegaard is being sought by Europe's top clubs.