Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

I'm young, female and ... decided

By Cat del Valle Castellanos, Special to CNN
updated 12:51 PM EDT, Sat November 3, 2012
 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney boards his campaign plane on November 2 in Milwaukee.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Cat Castellanos had been torn over which candidate to support
  • She says her decision to vote for Romney is based on the weak economic recovery
  • Obama should be held accountable the way Red Sox's Valentine was, she says
  • Castellanos: Romney's position on social issues such as abortion will not change law

Editor's note: Cat del Valle Castellanos is a writer and a regular contributor to Maria Shriver's Open Field Network.

(CNN) -- If there was a predominant reaction to this voter's indecision, shared in "Young, Female and Undecided" on CNN two weeks ago, it was incredulity.

"The candidates have spent billions," I was told. "Their TV ads have replaced normal programming. This campaign has been longer than a life sentence. How can you still be undecided?"

To clarify, my indecision did not stem from an unrequited love for either candidate. I just could not bring myself to support either of these guys. A vote for Obama makes me a crazy, government-expanding liberal. I vote for Romney and I'm a crazy, masochistic female.

Cat del Valle Castellanos
Cat del Valle Castellanos

The truth is that voting for a candidate doesn't mean you stand united on every issue. This is not Build-a-Bear. I cannot create my own candidate, taking the best features from each then add a glowing heart and a soft, plush, huggable exterior.

Nevertheless, I have made a choice. I'm young, female and decided. Drumroll, please...

Become a fan of CNNOpinion
Stay up to date on the latest opinion, analysis and conversations through social media. Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion and follow us @CNNOpinion on Twitter. We welcome your ideas and comments.

I'm voting for Mitt Romney.

"Well, duh, your dad's a Republican strategist."

My father Alex Castellanos' affiliation has not affected my decision. Although I respect his "suggestions," my choices are my own, as even he would tell you.

What has resolved this contest for me? Was it the cantankerous candidates in the last debate, fighting to fight for the safety of our great nation?

No. Personally, I found the last debate tremendously boring, except for President Obama's "bayonets" comment.

Ultimately, my decision came down to this: I could not rehire Bobby Valentine.

Valentine, manager of the Boston Red Sox this past year, was fired after a horrible season.

His team's poor record wasn't entirely Bobby's fault. In fact, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said, "Bobby was dealt a difficult hand." No doubt Valentine inherited a lot of problems.

But looking ahead, there was no reason for Sox fans to hope that next season Valentine would lead his team differently or deliver a better record.

Obama inherited a lot of problems, too. In his defense, our expectations for hope and change were too high. Unless he Midas-touched his way through the White House, Obama was destined to disappoint us.

But manager Obama has not achieved the goals he led us to believe he would. He has not turned his team around.

You don't keep a failing manager when there is an acceptable alternative. It's time for a replacement.

I am hoping, praying, that should he be elected, Romney's experience will lead to a positive shift in the economy and an increase in job creation.

I still disagree with the governor on women's rights. Should he become president, I'm going to rely on the power of the American people to protect women from those who would set the clock back.

The Cujo-like, growling TV ads attacking Romney on women's rights are cut and choreographed to make him seem appalling. Romney might not have closed the gender-gap entirely, but at least some women suspect those ads are unrealistic, more bark than bite.

An ad in which Romney says, "I would overturn Roe v. Wade" does not include what follows, the governor stating, "But that's not where we are. That's not where America is today." If Romney is elected, abortion is not going to become illegal. We will not have a government official holding our hands during our annual doctor's visit.

Similarly, I know Romney is against same-sex marriage. One day, I expect to tell my own children there was a time where gay people could not get married, just like my parents told me of a time I could not understand, when African-Americans were not presidents but confined to the back of the bus.

Some of the progress we've made and injustices we've overcome will not be reversed, no matter who is president. "That's not where America is today."

Romney won't be able to change everything. But what if he could change the economy?

"You can stick with what's barely working or take a chance with [Romney]," said Jay Pharaoh, imitating the president on "SNL."

We've had a losing streak, so I'm taking a chance. Because four years from now, if President Obama is finishing his last months in office and we're deeper in debt, still praying for a winning jobs report, I'll know I got just what I expected.

After all, I voted to keep the same manager after a losing streak. Follow @CNNOpinion on Twitter

Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Cat Castellanos.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 4:08 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014
The NFL's new Player Conduct Policy was a missed chance to get serious about domestic violence, says Mel Robbins.
updated 12:40 PM EST, Tue December 16, 2014
The slaughter of more than 130 children by the Pakistani Taliban may prove as pivotal to Pakistan's security policy as the 9/11 attacks were for the U.S., says Peter Bergen.
updated 11:00 AM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
The Internet is an online extension of our own neighborhoods. It's time for us to take their protection just as seriously, says Arun Vishwanath.
updated 4:54 PM EST, Tue December 16, 2014
Gayle Lemmon says we must speak out for the right of children to education -- and peace
updated 5:23 AM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
Russia's economic woes just seem to be getting worse. How will President Vladimir Putin respond? Frida Ghitis gives her take.
updated 1:39 AM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
Australia has generally seen itself as detached from the threat of terrorism. The hostage incident this week may change that, writes Max Barry.
updated 3:20 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Thomas Maier says the trove of letters the Kennedy family has tried to guard from public view gives insight into the Kennedy legacy and the history of era.
updated 9:56 AM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
Will Congress reform the CIA? It's probably best not to expect much from Washington. This is not the 1970s, and the chances for substantive reform are not good.
updated 4:01 PM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
From superstorms to droughts, not a week goes by without a major disruption somewhere in the U.S. But with the right planning, natural disasters don't have to be devastating.
updated 9:53 AM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
Would you rather be sexy or smart? Carol Costello says she hates this dumb question.
updated 5:53 PM EST, Sun December 14, 2014
A story about Pope Francis allegedly saying animals can go to heaven went viral late last week. The problem is that it wasn't true. Heidi Schlumpf looks at the discussion.
updated 10:50 AM EST, Sun December 14, 2014
Democratic leaders should wake up to the reality that the party's path to electoral power runs through the streets, where part of the party's base has been marching for months, says Errol Louis
updated 4:23 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014
David Gergen: John Brennan deserves a national salute for his efforts to put the report about the CIA in perspective
updated 9:26 AM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Anwar Sanders says that in some ways, cops and protesters are on the same side
updated 9:39 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
A view by Samir Naji, a Yemeni who was accused of serving in Osama bin Laden's security detail and imprisoned for nearly 13 years without charge in Guantanamo Bay
updated 12:38 PM EST, Sun December 14, 2014
S.E. Cupp asks: How much reality do you really want in your escapist TV fare?
updated 1:28 PM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Rip Rapson says the city's 'Grand Bargain' saved pensions and a world class art collection by pulling varied stakeholders together, setting civic priorities and thinking outside the box
updated 6:10 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014
Glenn Schwartz says the airing of the company's embarrassing emails might wake us up to the usefulness of talking in-person instead of electronically
updated 5:33 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
The computer glitch that disrupted air traffic over the U.K. on Friday was a nuisance, but not dangerous, says Les Abend
updated 12:40 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Newt Gingrich says the CBO didn't provide an accurate picture of Obamacare's impact, so why rehire its boss?
updated 7:40 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Russian aggression has made it clear Ukraine must rethink its security plans, says Olexander Motsyk, Ukrainian ambassador to the U.S.
updated 7:46 PM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
The Senate committee report on torture has highlighted partisan divisions on CIA methods, says Will Marshall. Republicans and Democrats are to blame.
updated 1:33 PM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
It would be dishonest to say that 2014 has been a good year for women. But that hasn't stopped some standing out, says Frida Ghitis.