Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

I'm young, female and ... decided

By Cat del Valle Castellanos, Special to CNN
updated 12:51 PM EDT, Sat November 3, 2012
 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney boards his campaign plane on November 2 in Milwaukee.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Cat Castellanos had been torn over which candidate to support
  • She says her decision to vote for Romney is based on the weak economic recovery
  • Obama should be held accountable the way Red Sox's Valentine was, she says
  • Castellanos: Romney's position on social issues such as abortion will not change law

Editor's note: Cat del Valle Castellanos is a writer and a regular contributor to Maria Shriver's Open Field Network.

(CNN) -- If there was a predominant reaction to this voter's indecision, shared in "Young, Female and Undecided" on CNN two weeks ago, it was incredulity.

"The candidates have spent billions," I was told. "Their TV ads have replaced normal programming. This campaign has been longer than a life sentence. How can you still be undecided?"

To clarify, my indecision did not stem from an unrequited love for either candidate. I just could not bring myself to support either of these guys. A vote for Obama makes me a crazy, government-expanding liberal. I vote for Romney and I'm a crazy, masochistic female.

Cat del Valle Castellanos
Cat del Valle Castellanos

The truth is that voting for a candidate doesn't mean you stand united on every issue. This is not Build-a-Bear. I cannot create my own candidate, taking the best features from each then add a glowing heart and a soft, plush, huggable exterior.

Nevertheless, I have made a choice. I'm young, female and decided. Drumroll, please...

Become a fan of CNNOpinion
Stay up to date on the latest opinion, analysis and conversations through social media. Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion and follow us @CNNOpinion on Twitter. We welcome your ideas and comments.

I'm voting for Mitt Romney.

"Well, duh, your dad's a Republican strategist."

My father Alex Castellanos' affiliation has not affected my decision. Although I respect his "suggestions," my choices are my own, as even he would tell you.

What has resolved this contest for me? Was it the cantankerous candidates in the last debate, fighting to fight for the safety of our great nation?

No. Personally, I found the last debate tremendously boring, except for President Obama's "bayonets" comment.

Ultimately, my decision came down to this: I could not rehire Bobby Valentine.

Valentine, manager of the Boston Red Sox this past year, was fired after a horrible season.

His team's poor record wasn't entirely Bobby's fault. In fact, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said, "Bobby was dealt a difficult hand." No doubt Valentine inherited a lot of problems.

But looking ahead, there was no reason for Sox fans to hope that next season Valentine would lead his team differently or deliver a better record.

Obama inherited a lot of problems, too. In his defense, our expectations for hope and change were too high. Unless he Midas-touched his way through the White House, Obama was destined to disappoint us.

But manager Obama has not achieved the goals he led us to believe he would. He has not turned his team around.

You don't keep a failing manager when there is an acceptable alternative. It's time for a replacement.

I am hoping, praying, that should he be elected, Romney's experience will lead to a positive shift in the economy and an increase in job creation.

I still disagree with the governor on women's rights. Should he become president, I'm going to rely on the power of the American people to protect women from those who would set the clock back.

The Cujo-like, growling TV ads attacking Romney on women's rights are cut and choreographed to make him seem appalling. Romney might not have closed the gender-gap entirely, but at least some women suspect those ads are unrealistic, more bark than bite.

An ad in which Romney says, "I would overturn Roe v. Wade" does not include what follows, the governor stating, "But that's not where we are. That's not where America is today." If Romney is elected, abortion is not going to become illegal. We will not have a government official holding our hands during our annual doctor's visit.

Similarly, I know Romney is against same-sex marriage. One day, I expect to tell my own children there was a time where gay people could not get married, just like my parents told me of a time I could not understand, when African-Americans were not presidents but confined to the back of the bus.

Some of the progress we've made and injustices we've overcome will not be reversed, no matter who is president. "That's not where America is today."

Romney won't be able to change everything. But what if he could change the economy?

"You can stick with what's barely working or take a chance with [Romney]," said Jay Pharaoh, imitating the president on "SNL."

We've had a losing streak, so I'm taking a chance. Because four years from now, if President Obama is finishing his last months in office and we're deeper in debt, still praying for a winning jobs report, I'll know I got just what I expected.

After all, I voted to keep the same manager after a losing streak. Follow @CNNOpinion on Twitter

Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Cat Castellanos.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:27 PM EST, Fri December 26, 2014
The ability to manipulate media and technology has increasingly become a critical strategic resource, says Jeff Yang.
updated 11:17 AM EST, Fri December 26, 2014
Today's politicians should follow Ronald Reagan's advice and invest in science, research and development, Fareed Zakaria says.
updated 8:19 AM EST, Fri December 26, 2014
Artificial intelligence does not need to be malevolent to be catastrophically dangerous to humanity, writes Greg Scoblete.
updated 10:05 AM EST, Fri December 26, 2014
Historian Douglas Brinkley says a showing of Sony's film in Austin helped keep the city weird -- and spotlighted the heroes who stood up for free expression
updated 8:03 AM EST, Fri December 26, 2014
Tanya Odom that by calling only on women at his press conference, the President made clear why women and people of color should be more visible in boardrooms and conferences
updated 6:27 PM EST, Sat December 27, 2014
When oil spills happen, researchers are faced with the difficult choice of whether to use chemical dispersants, authors say
updated 1:33 AM EST, Thu December 25, 2014
Danny Cevallos says the legislature didn't have to get involved in regulating how people greet each other
updated 6:12 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Marc Harrold suggests a way to move forward after the deaths of NYPD officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos.
updated 8:36 AM EST, Wed December 24, 2014
Simon Moya-Smith says Mah-hi-vist Goodblanket, who was killed by law enforcement officers, deserves justice.
updated 2:14 PM EST, Wed December 24, 2014
Val Lauder says that for 1,700 years, people have been debating when, and how, to celebrate Christmas
updated 3:27 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Raphael Sperry says architects should change their ethics code to ban involvement in designing torture chambers
updated 10:35 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Paul Callan says Sony is right to call for blocking the tweeting of private emails stolen by hackers
updated 7:57 AM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
As Christmas arrives, eyes turn naturally toward Bethlehem. But have we got our history of Christmas right? Jay Parini explores.
updated 11:29 PM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
The late Joe Cocker somehow found himself among the rock 'n' roll aristocracy who showed up in Woodstock to help administer a collective blessing upon a generation.
updated 4:15 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
History may not judge Obama kindly on Syria or even Iraq. But for a lame duck president, he seems to have quacking left to do, says Aaron Miller.
updated 1:11 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Terrorism and WMD -- it's easy to understand why these consistently make the headlines. But small arms can be devastating too, says Rachel Stohl.
updated 1:08 PM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
Ever since "Bridge-gate" threatened to derail Chris Christie's chances for 2016, Jeb Bush has been hinting he might run. Julian Zelizer looks at why he could win.
updated 1:53 PM EST, Sat December 20, 2014
New York's decision to ban hydraulic fracturing was more about politics than good environmental policy, argues Jeremy Carl.
updated 3:19 PM EST, Sat December 20, 2014
On perhaps this year's most compelling drama, the credits have yet to roll. But we still need to learn some cyber lessons to protect America, suggest John McCain.
updated 5:39 PM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
Conservatives know easing the trade embargo with Cuba is good for America. They should just admit it, says Fareed Zakaria.
updated 8:12 PM EST, Fri December 19, 2014
We're a world away from Pakistan in geography, but not in sentiment, writes Donna Brazile.
updated 12:09 PM EST, Fri December 19, 2014
How about a world where we have murderers but no murders? The police still chase down criminals who commit murder, we have trials and justice is handed out...but no one dies.
updated 6:45 PM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
The U.S. must respond to North Korea's alleged hacking of Sony, says Christian Whiton. Failing to do so will only embolden it.
updated 4:34 PM EST, Fri December 19, 2014
President Obama has been flexing his executive muscles lately despite Democrat's losses, writes Gloria Borger