Skip to main content

Bemused Vettel rejects Ferrari speculation

updated 12:30 PM EDT, Mon October 29, 2012
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel appears to be closing in on his third straight F1 drivers' championship crown
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel appears to be closing in on his third straight F1 drivers' championship crown
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel rejects talk he has signed for Ferrari
  • Vettel insists he is happy at Red Bull despite rumors of interest from rival team
  • The German strengthened his grip on a third consecutive drivers' title Sunday
  • Kimi Raikkonen confirms he will drive for the Lotus team next season

(CNN) -- Red Bull's Formula One double world champion Sebastian Vettel has rejected press speculation that he has already signed a deal to move to Ferrari.

The German, who strengthened his grip on a third consecutive drivers' championship crown with victory at the Indian Grand Prix, described some of the reports as "bull****" and said he is happy at Red Bull.

Vettel is undoubtedly the hottest property in Formula One and several media outlets claimed he was set to join the famous Italian marque for the 2014 season.

But Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has insisted Vettel with still be with his team in two years time and Vettel said he found the stories amusing.

Read: Vettel secures fourth straight win to close on F1 title

"No, there's nothing, nothing to tell you, nothing I've signed," he was quoted as saying on the sport's official website. "Nothing has changed. It's quite amusing. I don't know where it came from.

India's F1 story
Formula One strives for green future
Kamui Kobayashi: Japan's fastest man
Singapore: The future of F1 finance?
Fernando Alonso recovers from car crash

"I don't read much, so it's quite a surprise when you get to the circuit and get all these questions. Nothing to report. As I said, I can't be happier at the moment.

"You don't know every single one in the team, and it's hard to speak to every single one, so if there's -- sorry to say -- some bulls**** in the press, obviously there might be some concerns back in the factory.

"But I'm 100% behind them as I feel they're 100% behind me and therefore I want to get this straight, there's nothing to report and I'm very happy at Red Bull Racing."

Vettel roared to victory in New Delhi on Sunday to win his fourth consecutive race and take a 13-point lead over Ferrari's Fernando Alonso in the standings.

With just three races left in the 2012 season, the 25-year-old is perfectly poised to underline his dominance of the sport with a third drivers' title in a row.

Not since legendary German Michael Schumacher won five consecutive titles between 2000 and 2004 has the sport seen such dominance.

Red Bull are desperate to hang on to their star man, and Horner said after the win in India he hopes Vettel stays at the team for a long time.

Horner told reporters: "Sebastian has been with Red Bull since he was 12 or 13 years of age. He has achieved all his grand prix victories in Red Bull-designed cars.

"He is very happy being part of this team and he is an important part of this team and hopefully that will continue for many years to come."

Meanwhile, Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen -- who won the world title with Ferrari in 2007 -- has confirmed he will retain his seat at Lotus for next season.

Read: Go-kart crazy: Where F1 dreams begin

The 33-year-old currently sits third in the standings having secured six podium finishes this season and scoring points in all but one round.

Lotus released a video on their website on Monday that confirmed Raikkonen will see through his two-year deal.

"I think my return to Formula One has gone pretty well and the team has done a very good job all year so far," Raikkonen said in a Lotus team statement.

"To be honest, I didn't expect to be fighting for the drivers' championship this season when you look at where the team was in 2011, so it has been great to be on the podium so many times and to score points on a regular basis.

"I feel very comfortable with Lotus F1 Team and we share the same philosophy of racing. Continuing with the team was an obvious choice for me and I'm looking forward to making another step forward together next year."

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier expressed his delight at the deal and revealed Raikkonen had already been consulted on the design of the Lotus team car for 2013.

"Kimi has made an exceptional comeback to Formula One," he said. "From the first time he sat in the car this year it was clear he had lost none of his pace or technical feedback and we have been rewarded by a focused and motivated driver all season.

"For Lotus F1 Team to be fighting for such strong championship positions this year is in no small part attributed to Kimi's talent and experience of racing. It was a natural conclusion for us to confirm that we will be harnessing his abilities for next season."

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
updated 10:43 AM EDT, Thu July 3, 2014
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
updated 7:10 PM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
updated 8:33 AM EDT, Thu May 22, 2014
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
updated 10:59 AM EDT, Wed May 21, 2014
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
updated 11:00 AM EDT, Thu May 1, 2014
TO GO WITH AFP STORY IN ARABIC BY SUHEIL HOWAYEK: (FILES) Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna adjusts his rear view mirror in the pits 01 May 1994 before the start of the San Marino Grand Prix. Senna died after crashing in the seventh lap. Some 45 drivers, including Senna and Canadian Gilles Villeneuve, have been killed during Formula One races whose tracks are dubbed by some as the 'circuits of death.' AFP PHOTO/JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU (Photo credit should read JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU/AFP/Getty Images)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
updated 11:16 AM EDT, Wed April 30, 2014
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Fri April 25, 2014
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Susie Wolff, pictured, will become the Formula One's first female competitor in 20 years when she takes part in the first practice sessions at the British and German grands prix in July.
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.
ADVERTISEMENT