Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Young, female and undecided

By Cat del Valle Castellanos, Special to CNN
updated 12:34 PM EDT, Sun October 21, 2012
Cat Castellanos says she's in the demographic Mitt Romney needs to win over.
Cat Castellanos says she's in the demographic Mitt Romney needs to win over.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal and undecided, says Cat del Valle Castellanos
  • Obama is now less of a rock star, but compared to Romney, he's Aerosmith, she says
  • Castellanos: I'm the demographic Mitt Romney needs to win over: young and female
  • I may be young, but I'm certainly not worthless, and I'm not in the "47%," she says

Editor's note: Cat del Valle Castellanos is a writer and a regular contributor to Maria Shriver's Open Field Network. For her father Alex's recent take on the election, click here

(CNN) -- While I was raised with conservative values, I grew up in a progressive town, Washington, D.C., where openly gay teachers were normal and a pregnancy didn't mean you had to visit a cousin in Europe for nine months.

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. As I wait for the final presidential wrestling match Monday night, I'm three debates down, drowning in attack ads, and I still don't know who to vote for.

Debates are great fodder for Jon Stewart and SNL's "Weekend Update" (who doesn't love a good babbling-Biden joke?), but for me, the debates haven't changed anything.

President Obama is less of a rock star than he was four years ago. Still, in comparison to Mitt Romney, he's Aerosmith. I get the feeling that Obama has thought about the future of American youth and has made a clear effort to bring them into his cause.

See what one undecided single woman is seeking

Let's face it, it's cool to vote for Obama. This is why any young celebrity supporting Romney will make headlines a la Lindsay Lohan and Stacey Dash. (Who is Stacey Dash? Here comes a joke in itself: She's best known for her role as "Dee" in the movie Clueless.)

Become a fan of CNNOpinion
Stay up to date on the latest opinion, analysis and conversations through social media. Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion and follow us @CNNOpinion on Twitter. We welcome your ideas and comments.

Ignoring the crash-and-burn and B-list celebrities on his side, I'm wondering: Why hasn't Romney made any effort for the youth vote?

Romney reminds me of everyone's embarrassing Grandpa Eddie, who thinks gays can be "turned" and doesn't understand why you can't roll down your windows on an airplane. His ultra-conservative lifestyle -- his adherence to his faith's ban on drinking, his tendency to say "shoot" and "darn it" -- tells us he's from another generation.

Opinion: Does Romney 'get' women who work?

His now infamous "47%" confession didn't help. True, 47% of the nation wasn't going to vote for him anyway, but I don't want a president who thinks, "Half of you are worthless -- but choose me!" It's probably not the smartest political strategy to tell people they are incapable and then ask them for their vote.

FL race tightening; DNC chair responds
Obama: Romney has 'Romnesia'
Mitt's math: The Romney tax plan
Romney, Obama poke fun at themselves

I'm the demographic Romney needs to win over: Young, female, undecided. My conservative side wants to like Mitt, but he's not making it easy. Don't tell me you're out of work and understand unemployment when you are worth $200 million and post-grads like me can't find a job. Don't say, "Planned Parenthood, we're going to get rid of that," like you're throwing out an old sofa. Planned Parenthood is not a "that."

Give me something, anything, to work with. A recent "Saturday Night Live" skit had Jay Pharoah portraying Obama. He said, "There's your choice, America: Stick with what's been barely working, or take your chances" with Romney.

Unfortunately, that's the best summary I've heard of the 2012 election.

Opinion: The speech every woman should hear

Obama, my socially liberal side supports you, but what about the national debt? Hope and change were great slogans, but they are not plans. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... Am I voting for you when I should know better?

Romney, show me you are human. Inform me with reason but connect to me with emotion. Use that connection to get your point across. I know your hair looks like it came off a Lego man, but there has to be more there than plastic.

I may be young, but I'm certainly not worthless, and I'm not in the "47%."

In fact, I'm the most valuable American Romney could have: 100% undecided.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Cat del Valle Castellanos.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 4:08 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014
The NFL's new Player Conduct Policy was a missed chance to get serious about domestic violence, says Mel Robbins.
updated 12:40 PM EST, Tue December 16, 2014
The slaughter of more than 130 children by the Pakistani Taliban may prove as pivotal to Pakistan's security policy as the 9/11 attacks were for the U.S., says Peter Bergen.
updated 11:00 AM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
The Internet is an online extension of our own neighborhoods. It's time for us to take their protection just as seriously, says Arun Vishwanath.
updated 4:54 PM EST, Tue December 16, 2014
Gayle Lemmon says we must speak out for the right of children to education -- and peace
updated 5:23 AM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
Russia's economic woes just seem to be getting worse. How will President Vladimir Putin respond? Frida Ghitis gives her take.
updated 1:39 AM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
Australia has generally seen itself as detached from the threat of terrorism. The hostage incident this week may change that, writes Max Barry.
updated 3:20 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Thomas Maier says the trove of letters the Kennedy family has tried to guard from public view gives insight into the Kennedy legacy and the history of era.
updated 9:56 AM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
Will Congress reform the CIA? It's probably best not to expect much from Washington. This is not the 1970s, and the chances for substantive reform are not good.
updated 4:01 PM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
From superstorms to droughts, not a week goes by without a major disruption somewhere in the U.S. But with the right planning, natural disasters don't have to be devastating.
updated 9:53 AM EST, Mon December 15, 2014
Would you rather be sexy or smart? Carol Costello says she hates this dumb question.
updated 5:53 PM EST, Sun December 14, 2014
A story about Pope Francis allegedly saying animals can go to heaven went viral late last week. The problem is that it wasn't true. Heidi Schlumpf looks at the discussion.
updated 10:50 AM EST, Sun December 14, 2014
Democratic leaders should wake up to the reality that the party's path to electoral power runs through the streets, where part of the party's base has been marching for months, says Errol Louis
updated 4:23 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014
David Gergen: John Brennan deserves a national salute for his efforts to put the report about the CIA in perspective
updated 9:26 AM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Anwar Sanders says that in some ways, cops and protesters are on the same side
updated 9:39 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
A view by Samir Naji, a Yemeni who was accused of serving in Osama bin Laden's security detail and imprisoned for nearly 13 years without charge in Guantanamo Bay
updated 12:38 PM EST, Sun December 14, 2014
S.E. Cupp asks: How much reality do you really want in your escapist TV fare?
updated 1:28 PM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Rip Rapson says the city's 'Grand Bargain' saved pensions and a world class art collection by pulling varied stakeholders together, setting civic priorities and thinking outside the box
updated 6:10 PM EST, Sat December 13, 2014
Glenn Schwartz says the airing of the company's embarrassing emails might wake us up to the usefulness of talking in-person instead of electronically
updated 5:33 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
The computer glitch that disrupted air traffic over the U.K. on Friday was a nuisance, but not dangerous, says Les Abend
updated 12:40 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Newt Gingrich says the CBO didn't provide an accurate picture of Obamacare's impact, so why rehire its boss?
updated 7:40 PM EST, Fri December 12, 2014
Russian aggression has made it clear Ukraine must rethink its security plans, says Olexander Motsyk, Ukrainian ambassador to the U.S.
updated 7:46 PM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
The Senate committee report on torture has highlighted partisan divisions on CIA methods, says Will Marshall. Republicans and Democrats are to blame.
updated 1:33 PM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
It would be dishonest to say that 2014 has been a good year for women. But that hasn't stopped some standing out, says Frida Ghitis.