Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Young, female and undecided

By Cat del Valle Castellanos, Special to CNN
updated 12:34 PM EDT, Sun October 21, 2012
Cat Castellanos says she's in the demographic Mitt Romney needs to win over.
Cat Castellanos says she's in the demographic Mitt Romney needs to win over.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • I'm fiscally conservative, socially liberal and undecided, says Cat del Valle Castellanos
  • Obama is now less of a rock star, but compared to Romney, he's Aerosmith, she says
  • Castellanos: I'm the demographic Mitt Romney needs to win over: young and female
  • I may be young, but I'm certainly not worthless, and I'm not in the "47%," she says

Editor's note: Cat del Valle Castellanos is a writer and a regular contributor to Maria Shriver's Open Field Network. For her father Alex's recent take on the election, click here

(CNN) -- While I was raised with conservative values, I grew up in a progressive town, Washington, D.C., where openly gay teachers were normal and a pregnancy didn't mean you had to visit a cousin in Europe for nine months.

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. As I wait for the final presidential wrestling match Monday night, I'm three debates down, drowning in attack ads, and I still don't know who to vote for.

Debates are great fodder for Jon Stewart and SNL's "Weekend Update" (who doesn't love a good babbling-Biden joke?), but for me, the debates haven't changed anything.

President Obama is less of a rock star than he was four years ago. Still, in comparison to Mitt Romney, he's Aerosmith. I get the feeling that Obama has thought about the future of American youth and has made a clear effort to bring them into his cause.

See what one undecided single woman is seeking

Let's face it, it's cool to vote for Obama. This is why any young celebrity supporting Romney will make headlines a la Lindsay Lohan and Stacey Dash. (Who is Stacey Dash? Here comes a joke in itself: She's best known for her role as "Dee" in the movie Clueless.)

Become a fan of CNNOpinion
Stay up to date on the latest opinion, analysis and conversations through social media. Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion and follow us @CNNOpinion on Twitter. We welcome your ideas and comments.

Ignoring the crash-and-burn and B-list celebrities on his side, I'm wondering: Why hasn't Romney made any effort for the youth vote?

Romney reminds me of everyone's embarrassing Grandpa Eddie, who thinks gays can be "turned" and doesn't understand why you can't roll down your windows on an airplane. His ultra-conservative lifestyle -- his adherence to his faith's ban on drinking, his tendency to say "shoot" and "darn it" -- tells us he's from another generation.

Opinion: Does Romney 'get' women who work?

His now infamous "47%" confession didn't help. True, 47% of the nation wasn't going to vote for him anyway, but I don't want a president who thinks, "Half of you are worthless -- but choose me!" It's probably not the smartest political strategy to tell people they are incapable and then ask them for their vote.

FL race tightening; DNC chair responds
Obama: Romney has 'Romnesia'
Mitt's math: The Romney tax plan
Romney, Obama poke fun at themselves

I'm the demographic Romney needs to win over: Young, female, undecided. My conservative side wants to like Mitt, but he's not making it easy. Don't tell me you're out of work and understand unemployment when you are worth $200 million and post-grads like me can't find a job. Don't say, "Planned Parenthood, we're going to get rid of that," like you're throwing out an old sofa. Planned Parenthood is not a "that."

Give me something, anything, to work with. A recent "Saturday Night Live" skit had Jay Pharoah portraying Obama. He said, "There's your choice, America: Stick with what's been barely working, or take your chances" with Romney.

Unfortunately, that's the best summary I've heard of the 2012 election.

Opinion: The speech every woman should hear

Obama, my socially liberal side supports you, but what about the national debt? Hope and change were great slogans, but they are not plans. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... Am I voting for you when I should know better?

Romney, show me you are human. Inform me with reason but connect to me with emotion. Use that connection to get your point across. I know your hair looks like it came off a Lego man, but there has to be more there than plastic.

I may be young, but I'm certainly not worthless, and I'm not in the "47%."

In fact, I'm the most valuable American Romney could have: 100% undecided.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Cat del Valle Castellanos.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Rick McGahey says Rep. Paul Ryan is signaling his presidential ambitions by appealing to hard core Republican values
updated 11:39 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Paul Saffo says current Google Glasses are doomed to become eBay collectibles, but they are only the leading edge of a surge in wearable tech that will change our lives
updated 2:49 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
Kathleen Blee says the KKK and white power or neo-Nazi groups give haters the purpose and urgency to use violence.
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse and Rep. Henry Waxman say read deep, and you'll see the federal Keystone pipeline report spells out the pipeline is bad news
updated 7:53 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Frida Ghitis says President Obama needs to stop making empty threats against Russia and consider other options
updated 5:29 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
Peter Bergen and David Sterman say the Kansas Jewish Center killings are part of a string of lethal violence in the U.S. that outstrips al Qaeda-influenced attacks. Why don't we pay more attention?
updated 12:41 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
Danny Cevallos says families of the passengers on Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 need legal counsel
updated 11:23 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
David Frum says Russia is on a rampage of mischief while Western leaders and Western alliances charged with keeping the peace hem and haw
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
Most adults make the mistakes of hitting the snooze button and of checking emails first thing in the morning, writes Mel Robbins
updated 1:54 PM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
David Wheeler says as middle-class careers continue to disappear, we need a monthly cash payment to everyone
updated 7:55 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
Democrats need to show more political spine when it comes to the issue of taxes.
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
Donna Brazile recalls the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act as four presidents honored the heroes of the movement and Lyndon Johnson, who signed the law
updated 9:17 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
Elmer Smith remembers Chuck Stone, the legendary journalist from Philadelphia who was known as a thorn in the side of police and an advocate for the little guy
updated 2:56 PM EDT, Sun April 13, 2014
Al Franken says Comcast, the nation's largest cable provider, wants to acquire Time Warner Cable, the nation's second-largest cable provider. Should we be concerned?
updated 11:22 AM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
Philip Cook and Kristin Goss says the Pennsylvania stabbing attack, which caused grave injury -- but not death, carries a lesson on guns for policymakers
updated 3:06 PM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
Wikipedia lists 105 football movies, but all too many of them are forgettable, writes Mike Downey
updated 10:32 AM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
John Sutter and hundreds of iReporters set out to run marathons after the bombings -- and learned a lot about the culture of running
updated 12:49 PM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
Timothy Stanley says it was cowardly to withdraw the offer of an honorary degree to Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The university should have done its homework on her narrow views and not made the offer
updated 10:16 AM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
Al Awlaki
Almost three years after his death in a 2011 CIA drone strike in Yemen, Anwar al-Awlaki continues to inspire violent jihadist extremists in the U.S, writes Peter Bergen
updated 9:21 PM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
David Bianculli says Colbert is a smart, funny interviewer, but ditching his blowhard persona to take over the mainstream late-night role may cost him fans
updated 1:31 PM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Rep. Paul Ryan says the Republican budget places its trust in the people, not in Washington
updated 5:28 PM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Aaron David Miller says Obama isn't to blame for Kerry's lack of progress in resolving Mideast talks
updated 11:22 AM EDT, Mon April 14, 2014
David Weinberger says beyond focusing on the horrors of the attack a year ago, it's worth remembering the lessons it taught about strength, the dangers of idle speculation and Boston's solidarity
updated 12:32 PM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Katherine Newman says the motive for the school stabbing attack in Pennsylvania is not yet known, but research on such rampages turns up similarities in suspects and circumstances
updated 7:03 AM EDT, Fri April 11, 2014
Simon Tisdall: Has John Kerry's recent track record left Russia's wily leader ever more convinced of U.S. weakness?
updated 12:40 PM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Mel Robbins says Nate Scimio deserves credit for acting bravely in a frightening attack and shouldn't be criticized for posting a selfie afterward
updated 2:39 PM EDT, Wed April 9, 2014
Wendy Townsend says the Rattlesnake Roundup -- where thousands of pounds of snakes are killed and tormented -- is barbaric
updated 9:45 AM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Dr. Mary Mulcahy says doctors who tell their patients the truth risk getting bad ratings from them
updated 9:28 AM EDT, Wed April 9, 2014
Peggy Drexler says the married Rep. McAllister, caught on video making out with a staffer, won't get a pass from voters who elected him as a Christian conservative with family values
updated 7:43 AM EDT, Wed April 9, 2014
David Frum says the president has failed to react strongly to crises in Iran, Syria, Ukraine and Venezuela, encouraging others to act out
updated 4:57 PM EDT, Wed April 9, 2014
Eric Liu says Paul Ryan gets it very wrong: The U.S.'s problem is not a culture of poverty, it is a culture of wealth that is destroying the American value linking work and reward
updated 7:51 AM EDT, Wed April 9, 2014
Frida Ghitis writes: "We are still seeing the world mostly through men's eyes. We are still hearing it explained to us mostly by men."
updated 10:08 AM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Chester Wisniewski says the Heartbleed bug shows how we're all tangled together, relying on each other for Internet security
updated 3:26 PM EDT, Wed April 9, 2014
Danny Cevallos says an Ohio school that suspended a little kid for pointing his finger at another kid and pretending to shoot shows the growth in "zero tolerance" policies at school run amok