Suicide attack on army base wounds dozens of Afghan soldiers

Story highlights

  • Coalition troops are training Afghan soldiers and police
  • The base also comes under indirect fire, an official says
  • The Taliban claims responsibility for the attack

A suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden truck into the wall of a joint NATO-Afghan army base Wednesday, wounding 45 Afghan soldiers, officials said.

The base at Paktia province also came under indirect fire after the attack, according to Lt. Junior Grade Amy Hession of NATO's International Security Assistance Force.

Read more: Afghan troops taking on fight against insurgency

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

Last month, insurgents disguised in U.S. Army uniforms launched a coordinated assault at the joint American-British base Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan, killing two U.S. troops and destroying six coalition fighter jets.

Coalition troops are training Afghan soldiers and police to maintain security in the country ahead of the planned end of allied combat operations in 2014.

Read more: NATO restricts Afghan operations after 'green-on-blue' attacks