South Korean military embarrassed after defector from North knocks on door

South Korean soldiers stand guard during a joint US-South Korean military exercise in Seoul on August 21, 2012.

Story highlights

  • The North Korea-South Korea border is considered the most heavily militarized in the world
  • This month, a North Korean soldier crossed it undetected
  • He is one of three defectors in the past two months, a lawmaker says
  • The South Korean defense minister apologizes for the security failure

South Korea on Monday reprimanded five senior military officials after admitting that a North Korean soldier had managed to cross the heavily patrolled border between the two countries undetected and knock on the door of his enemy's barracks.

Revelations about the ease with which the North Korean soldier reached the South Korean side of the border, considered to be the most heavily militarized in the world, have prompted criticism of the nation's military.

Read more: S. Korea fires warning shots at N. Korean fishing boats

The soldier, whose name and rank were not disclosed, jumped three barbed-wire fences along the eastern part of the border without being spotted on October 2, according to the South Korean Defense Ministry.

He was picked up by South Korean soldiers in the province of Kangwon only after he knocked on a barracks door, wishing to defect, the ministry said. He had escaped from his unit and traveled about 50 kilometers (31 miles) through North Korean territory to get to the border zone.

N. Korea defector: 'A foolish decision'
N. Korea defector: 'A foolish decision'

    JUST WATCHED

    N. Korea defector: 'A foolish decision'

MUST WATCH

N. Korea defector: 'A foolish decision' 02:48
PLAY VIDEO
Defector eyes S. Korean parliament
Defector eyes S. Korean parliament

    JUST WATCHED

    Defector eyes S. Korean parliament

MUST WATCH

Defector eyes S. Korean parliament 01:38
PLAY VIDEO
N. Korean defector recounts dad's death
N. Korean defector recounts dad's death

    JUST WATCHED

    N. Korean defector recounts dad's death

MUST WATCH

N. Korean defector recounts dad's death 04:34
PLAY VIDEO

South Korean Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin made a public apology in a live broadcast on national television Monday, calling the incident "a clear failure in security operations."

"As the defense minister, I express sincere apology for causing concern to our people," he said.

Read more: N. Korea taunts S. Korean candidate with 'Gangnam Style'-inspired video

Kim said a lieutenant general, two major generals and two brigadier generals were facing disciplinary action. He also pledged to enhance security measures and increase the number of soldiers around the border area.

The security breach was deemed "lamentable" in an editorial last week by The Korea Times, an English-language newspaper.

"What if the defector were an agent armed with guns and grenades who sneaked into the barracks on orders from the North?" the editorial asked.

It also criticized the initially misleading information about the situation from defense officials.

The South Korean military had announced a subsequent defection across the border on October 6, in which a North Korean solider on guard duty at the border told authorities in the South that he had killed his superiors before fleeing across the Military Demarcation Line.

North Korean soldier shoots comrades before defecting to South

At the time, defense officials said it was the first defection over land since March 2010.

But news of the controversial October 2 defection and another in September later emerged after a South Korean lawmaker, Kim Kwang-jin from the main opposition Democratic United Party, questioned officials from the Joint Chiefs of Staff in a parliamentary hearing last week.

In a statement, he criticized the "lies and deception from the military."

According to the lawmaker, at least 10 divisions from the South Korean army and two Marine Corps divisions are guarding the roughly 250-kilometer-long border area.

Defections over land through the heavily armed and patrolled border area are rare, as most prefer to try crossing by sea or going through China.

More than 24,000 refugees have entered the South from the North since the country's division, according to the Ministry of Unification in Seoul.

      CNN Recommends

    • pkg clancy north korea nuclear dreams_00002004.jpg

      North Korea nuclear dream video

      As "We are the World" plays, a video shows what looks like a nuclear attack on the U.S. Jim Clancy reports on a bizarre video from North Korea.
    • Photos: Faces of the world

      Photojournalist Alison Wright travelled the world to capture its many faces in her latest book, "Face to Face: Portraits of the Human Spirit."
    • pkg rivers uk football match fixing_00005026.jpg

      How to fix a soccer match

      Europol claims 380 soccer matches, including top level ones, were fixed - as the scandal widens, CNN's Dan Rivers looks at how it's done.
    • No Eiffel Towers, Statues of Liberties, Mt. Rushmores, Taj Mahals, Aussie koalas or Chairman Maos.

      15 biggest souvenir-buying no-no's

      It's an essential part of any trip, an activity we all take part in. Yet almost none of us are any good at it. Souvenir buying is too often an obligatory slog.