Hezbollah calls for new film protests

Story highlights

  • Hezbollah's leader calls for new protests Monday
  • Nasrallah complains the United States has "done nothing" to stop the film
  • He calls U.S. guarantees of freedom of expression "a well-known excuse"

The leader of Lebanon's Shiite Muslim movement Hezbollah called for new protests Monday over an anti-Islamic film that sparked violent anti-American demonstrations across the Middle East last week.

Speaking on Hezbollah's al-Manar television service Sunday night, Hassan Nasrallah said the movie -- excerpts of which have been posted online -- "represents a dangerous turn in the war against Islam and the great prophet, peace be upon him."

"We must stress that should be awareness among Muslims and Christians not to let any strife take place in any country or any place in the world," Nasrallah said. "The people who should be accountable, and brought to justice as well as punished and boycotted, are those directly responsible for the film and those who support them and protect them. And it is the United States of America that is at the forefront of those."

Film mocking Mohammed sparks protests
Film mocking Mohammed sparks protests

    JUST WATCHED

    Film mocking Mohammed sparks protests

MUST WATCH

Film mocking Mohammed sparks protests 00:59
PLAY VIDEO
Rice on the anti-American protests abroad
Rice on the anti-American protests abroad

    JUST WATCHED

    Rice on the anti-American protests abroad

MUST WATCH

Rice on the anti-American protests abroad 06:52
PLAY VIDEO
Wolfowitz on what Obama 'should've said'
Wolfowitz on what Obama 'should've said'

    JUST WATCHED

    Wolfowitz on what Obama 'should've said'

MUST WATCH

Wolfowitz on what Obama 'should've said' 01:13
PLAY VIDEO
Tear gas and a standoff in Cairo, Egypt
Tear gas and a standoff in Cairo, Egypt

    JUST WATCHED

    Tear gas and a standoff in Cairo, Egypt

MUST WATCH

Tear gas and a standoff in Cairo, Egypt 01:16
PLAY VIDEO

Protests calm, but tensions remain as U.S. seeks to protect embassies

A 14-minute trailer for the movie mocks the Prophet Mohammed as a womanizer, child molester and ruthless killer. The movie was privately produced by a man federal officials identified as Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, a California man on probation for bank fraud, and authorities have said they are reviewing whether he violated the terms of his release.

The trailer has provoked riots, demonstrations and attacks across the region that have left numerous dead, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three others killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.

In Lebanon, demonstrators in the northern city of Tripoli attacked and burned down a KFC restaurant on Friday, leaving one dead and 25 others wounded in clashes between police and protesters.

Other protests continued into Sunday, when Pakistani police armed with batons and water cannon pushed demonstrators back from the U.S. Consulate in Karachi.

President Barack Obama said Saturday that the United States stands for religious freedom and rejects "the denigration of any religion, including Islam." But he added, "There is no excuse for attacks on our embassies and consulates."

Nasrallah said Muslims have asked the U.S. government to suppress the film, "but the U.S. administration has done nothing."

"Their well-known excuse is the issue of freedom -- freedom of expression, American values and the like," he said. He said there should be "an international decision enforced by international organizations" to prosecute people who insult the prophets of Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

Zakaria: What the Mideast protests reveal

      Attacks on U.S. missions

    • Panetta, Dempsey defend U.S. response

      A testy exchange erupted between Sen. John McCain and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey during the latter's testimony about September's deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
    • Five things from the Benghazi hearings

      Secretary of State Hillary Clinton took on Republican congressional critics of her department's handling of the deadly September terrorist attack in Libya.
    • Children in Benghazi hold up placards reading "No to terrorism" (R) and "yes for stability and security" on January 15.

      Benghazi tries to escape its ghosts

      Bilal Bettamer wants to save Benghazi from those he calls "extremely dangerous people." But his campaign against the criminal and extremist groups that plague the city has put his life at risk.
    • Protesters near the US Embassy in Cairo.

      Dispute over how attack began

      Was the attack on the Libyan U.S. Consulate the result of a mob gone awry, a planned terror attack or a combination of the two?
    • Image #: 19358881    Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, smiles at his home in Tripoli June 28, 2012. Stevens and three embassy staff were killed late on September 11, 2012, as they rushed away from a consulate building in Benghazi, stormed by al Qaeda-linked gunmen blaming America for a film that they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad. Stevens was trying to leave the consulate building for a safer location as part of an evacuation when gunmen launched an intense attack, apparently forcing security personnel to withdraw. Picture taken June 28, 2012. REUTERS/Esam Al-Fetori (LIBYA - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL UNREST OBITUARY)       REUTERS /ESAM OMRAN AL-FETORI /LANDOV

      U.S. ambassador's last moments

      Three days before the deadly attack in Benghazi, a local security official says he warned U.S. diplomats about deteriorating security.
    • CNN Arabic

      For the latest news on developments in the Middle East and North Africa in Arabic.