Skip to main content

Korea's Kang and Ryu lead Women's British Open

updated 4:36 PM EDT, Thu September 13, 2012
South Korea's So Yeon Ryu is joint-leader after the opening round of Women's British Open at Hoylake
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • South Korea's Haeji Kang and So Yeon Ryu lead by one after day one of Women's British Open
  • Kiwi teenager Lydia Ko and World No.1 Yani Tseng two shots behind after even par opening rounds
  • English amateur Charley Hull enjoys promising debut carding one-under par round of 71

(CNN) -- South Korea's Haeji Kang and So Yeon Ryu are co-leaders after the opening round of the Women's British Open at the Royal Liverpool Golf Club at Hoylake.

Both women shot opening rounds of 70 to finish on two-under par, one shot ahead of a group of nine players which includes compatriot Jiyai Shin, English amateur Charley Hull and Australia pair Karrie Webb and Stacey Keating.

"My iron shots were great and that was the key," co-leader Kang said.

Lydia Ko keen to build on winning form
Is Olazabal ready for Ryder Cup?

"I've played quite a lot of links golf in Australia so that also made it a little easier for me," she added.

Ryu, the 2011 Women's U.S Open winner, was also happy with her opening round.

"After I won a major everyone back home couldn't understand why I didn't win more. But getting my second LPGA title at (the Toledo Classic) was great. Today also feels really good," Ryu said.

"On Tuesday and Wednesday I just thought 'wow.' The weather was so bad here. But today was much better and I just hit a lot of low fade shots and that really helped. I was only in one bunker and that was also a bonus," she added.

World No.1 and last year's winner, Yani Tseng heads a 17-strong group on even par which includes 15-year-old amateur Lydia Ko from New Zealand.

Ko, who became the youngest winner on the LPGA Tour in August when she claimed victory at the Canadian Open, once again displayed remarkable maturity.

"Everyone is expecting big things from me. But I don't take much interest in what other people say. I'm not going to play well because other people think I should," Ko said.

"I just play my own game. Today, shooting par was a pretty good start. I could have had a few more birdies but, hopefully, I'm saving them up for tomorrow."

Part of complete coverage on
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.