Skip to main content

2 dead in Libya car bombings

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 8:12 PM EDT, Sun August 19, 2012
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Security forces reportedly arrest those responsible for the blasts
  • One explosion kills 2 people and wounds 3
  • A second blast lightly injures 1 at an interior ministry building
  • The attacks came on the first morning of the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr

(CNN) -- Libyan security forces have arrested the people responsible for a pair of car bombings Sunday in the capital that left two people dead, three wounded, and a fourth lightly injured, Libyan state media reported.

The first blast, detonated by remote control in Tripoli's Tahrir Square, killed two people and wounded three, Interior Minister Omar al-Khad said, according to state-run WAL news agency.

A second blast, involving a taxi, targeted an interior ministry building, damaging several vehicles and injuring one citizen lightly, the report said.

The attacks came on the morning of the first day of the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr.

Al-Khad blamed the former regime for the attacks, calling it an effort to destabliize the coutnry and spread terror, the report said.

Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi was ousted and killed last year.

State media reported that the initial investigation suggested the people responsible for the explosions had been part of Gadhafi's regime.

It was unclear how many people were in custody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT