Skip to main content

Robert Downey Jr. injures ankle on set of 'Iron Man 3'

By Anthony Breznican, EW
updated 10:30 AM EDT, Thu August 16, 2012
Robert Downey Jr. is set to reprise his role in
Robert Downey Jr. is set to reprise his role in "Iron Man 3."
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Downey's injury halted production of "Iron Man 3"
  • The film has been in production since May
  • Downey's rep confirmed to EW that the star would be fine

(EW.com) -- Robert Downey Jr. injured his ankle on the set of "Iron Man 3 today, which will force a brief delay in production, Marvel Studios announced.

The company released a statement saying the 47-year-old actor hurt himself while performing a stunt.

The film has been in production since late May, and the accident occurred in Wilmington, North Carolina. No other details were released.

Downey previously told EW he is eager to push the limits with this film. "I feel like I don't know where you go after Iron Man 3. Leave it all on the field, you know?" he said. In keeping with those ambitions, it sounds like he sustained a good football injury.

It's not clear how long the production would be put on hold. Marvel said only that it would be "a short delay" while he recuperates.

Downey's rep confirmed to EW that the star would be fine, and that they're still waiting to see how long he'll need before returning to the shoot.

Iron Man 3 is set for release May 3, 2013, and that's unlikely to change.

See the full story at EW.com.

CLICK HERE to Try 2 RISK FREE issues of Entertainment Weekly

© 2011 Entertainment Weekly and Time Inc. All rights reserved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT