Skip to main content

Reporter on Murdoch's Sun arrested over stolen phones

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN
updated 12:02 PM EDT, Mon July 30, 2012
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Nick Parker of the Sun is suspected of gathering data from stolen cell phones
  • The arrest comes after the first phone-hacking charges were filed last week
  • David Cameron ex-aide and Murdoch confidant Rebekah Brooks deny the charges
  • Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Paul McCartney are among alleged celebrity victims

London (CNN) -- A journalist at Rupert Murdoch's British tabloid newspaper The Sun was arrested Monday on suspicion of culling information from stolen cell phones.

Police announced the arrest without naming the suspect, while a source close to the newspaper's publisher, News International, confirmed it was Nick Parker.

The source asked not to be named discussing internal company business.

Read more: Timeline of UK phone hacking scandal

The arrest is the latest in a long-running police investigation prompted by illegal eavesdropping at the defunct Murdoch tabloid The News of the World, which has expanded into probes of computer hacking, bribery and corruption.

Phone-hacking charges announced
Explain it to me: UK tabloid scandal
Jukes: Brown testimony hurt Murdoch
The relationship between press and power

Parker was arrested earlier as part of the corruption investigation, the source close to News International said.

He has not been charged.

The first charges for phone hacking itself came last week, as prosecutors charged a former aide to British Prime Minister David Cameron and a close confidant of media baron Rupert Murdoch, along with six others.

Cameron's former director of communications, Andy Coulson, and Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive of Murdoch's News International, were charged Tuesday.

The announced names of the suspected hacking victims include some of the world's biggest celebrities, including Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Paul McCartney, soccer star Wayne Rooney and actor Jude Law.

Read more: Full CPS statement

The phone-hacking accusations have reverberated through the top levels of British politics and journalism, led to the closing of a major tabloid and prompted a parliamentary committee to issue damning criticism of Murdoch.

The charging announcement delivers one more public relations blow to Murdoch, who stepped down from a string of company boards of directors earlier this month and further distanced himself from the print business that first brought him fame and fortune.

Coulson and Brooks are former editors of The News of the World, which was shut down last year in the face of public outrage at the hacking scandal.

Parent company News Corp.'s multibillion-dollar bid to take over British Sky Broadcasting collapsed as the scandal spread.

Brooks, who was charged with conspiracy to intercept voice mails of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, vigorously denied the charges, saying she was "distressed and angry."

Coulson said he "wouldn't and, more importantly, that I didn't, do anything to damage the Milly Dowler investigation."

The scandal exploded with the revelation that the phone of Dowler, a 13-year-old British girl, was hacked after she disappeared in 2002. She was later found murdered. Indications that her voice mail had been accessed had given her parents the false hope she was still alive.

Prosecutors allege there were more than 600 victims of phone hacking between 2000 and 2006.

Read more: Familiar abuse of power as press fights regulation

Blog: Murdoch's UK legal woes coming to the U.S.?

CNN's Dan Rivers, Jonathan Wald and Laura Smith-Spark contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
The Leveson inquiry is a British government-backed inquiry into illegal eavesdropping and bribery by journalists.
updated 7:27 AM EDT, Tue June 19, 2012
Media expert Brian Cathcart says Fleet St. has grabbed its megaphone and started bellowing out its usual message: leave us alone.
updated 8:29 AM EDT, Tue May 15, 2012
Rebekah Brooks was once feted as one of the rising stars of the British media. Now she is at the center of the phone-hacking scandal.
updated 11:39 AM EDT, Tue May 1, 2012
Brian Cathcart says while a UK lawmakers' report has no force in law, it does carry a moral weight that Rupert Murdoch cannot ignore.
For the time being, investors are willing to back team BSkyB, if not Team Murdoch.
Rupert Murdoch is the last of a dying breed: An old-fashioned press baron, a tough businessman with a hunger for the next big story.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Tue April 24, 2012
James Murdoch, head of News Corp's European operations
Before the hacking scandal, James Murdoch was widely regarded as the heir apparent to his father Rupert's powerful empire.
Report from the UK's Culture, Media and Sport Committee on News International and phone-hacking
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Wed April 25, 2012
On his Twitter feed Rupert Murdoch reveals a love of nature, a hatred of windfarms and a desire to put the boot into the UK government.
updated 8:12 AM EST, Tue December 20, 2011
Atika Shubert looks back at how phone hacking scandal rocked Britain and Rupert Murdoch's media empire in 2011.
updated 6:12 PM EST, Thu February 16, 2012
CNN's Dan Rivers reports on the latest scandal for News Corp. involving what appears to be cash for stories.
updated 9:21 AM EST, Wed November 30, 2011
Alistair Campbell says UK newspapers print "complete nonsense" to support their owners' agendas.
ADVERTISEMENT