(CNN) -- The International Criminal Court said Friday it has issued a second arrest warrant for a former Congolese rebel leader who is now a general in the Congolese Army despite war crimes accusations.
The court first issued a warrant in 2006 for Bosco Ntaganda, accusing him of three counts of crimes against humanity.
In requesting the new warrant in May, Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said he was seeking to expand the charges after reviewing evidence in the case against Thomas Lubanga, a former Congolese militia leader. Lubanga was sentenced earlier this week to 14 years in prison, minus time served, after being sent to The Hague in Netherlands for prosecution in the ICC in 2006.
Ntaganda is now wanted on charges of murder, rape, attacks on civilians and slavery. The first warrant issued by the court alleges he forced children to become soldiers.
The violence occurred in 2002 and 2003 in the mineral-rich eastern part of the nation.
In April, the Congolese government called for Ntaganda's arrest for war crimes, sparking clashes as forces loyal to him deserted the national army. The clashes forced thousands to resettle along the border in Rwandan refugee camps. Ntaganda, who was born in Rwanda, is on Interpol's Wanted Persons list.
Lubanga's case marked the ICC's first trial and first verdict since the court was established in 2002 to address offenses of international concern, such as genocide and war crimes.
In recent months, the court has come under fierce criticism that it disburses justice selectively.
Critics have said the court targets Africa and bypasses opportunities to investigate abuses in various nations elsewhere, including Afghanistan and Iraq.
The court currently has investigations in the Central African Republic, Uganda, Kenya, Sudan, Ivory Coast and Libya.