- NEW: Happy Independence Day! Buying American-made products is one way to show your stripes
- Products manufactured in America may seem hard to find, but it's not impossible
- CNN commenters provide picks for brands that manufacture in America
The slow death of American manufacturing and the trend toward outsourcing overseas has made it hard to find American-made goods, but not impossible. A host of small businesses are still dedicated to manufacturing goods in America, and, thanks to a few diligent bloggers, they're easier than ever to find.
"Buying Made in USA is not just a passing trend. It truly is something we as consumers, business owners and even government can do to support small to mid-size businesses," said Julie Reiser, president and co-founder of Made in USA Certified, which audits supply chains for businesses that want their products to bear their seal.
"Small businesses are responsible for two out of every three new jobs created in the U.S. We need these small to mid-size businesses to flourish and grow as they are our innovators, our makers and job creators. Making it in America, supporting U.S. manufacturing and buying American is one thing we can all do today to help keep the American dream alive and well."
Here's a short list of websites and Facebook groups dedicated to helping consumers find products made in the United States, along with a few brands known to manufacture most or a substantial portion of their goods stateside. Read the list and help us grow it by adding your suggestions in the comments.
- Arne Mason: Leather carrying cases
- Blackbox Case: Wooden laptop cases
- Corter Leather and Cloth: Belts, wallets, key chains
- Fox River Mills: Socks
- Makr Carry Goods: Bags, stools, wallets, belts
- NATIVE(X): Totes, scarves, jewelry, mugs
- Pendleton: Blankets and apparel
- Pierrepont Hicks: Ties, bowties
- Randolph Engineering: Glasses, sunglasses
- Summit Creek Dry Goods: Wallets, key chains, belts
- Estex Mfg. Co.: Tool sheaths, aprons, buckets, holsters
- Tom Bihn
- Braun Corporation: Manufacturer of wheelchair lifts and ramps, transit vehicles
- Case Knives: Pocket and hunting knives
- Council Tool: Hand tools
- Edelbrock: Specialty vehicle parts
- Excel: Hand dryers
- Grado Labs: Headphones and phone cartridges
- Heritage General Store: Bicycles
- Pacific Hospitality Design: Furniture
- K'NEX: Children's toys
- Geneva Manufacturing: Modular garage organizing gear
- Itsy Bitsy Ritzy Shop: Furniture
- Malpaca: Pillows and bedding
- Portland General Store: Grooming products for men
- Purrfectplay: Pet toys
- Sterilite: Plastic Housewares
- Stonebridge Upholstery: Furniture
- Tervis: Tumblers, drink ware
- USA Flag Supply: American, Gadsen, specialty flags
- Vandersteen Audio: Speakers
- Wholesome Hide: Rawhide dog chews
Where do you shop for products made in the United States? Share your resources in the comments!