Skip to main content

Red Bull in no rush over Webber deal

updated 12:53 PM EDT, Mon July 9, 2012
Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso are the only drivers to win more than one F1 race in the 2012 season so far
Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso are the only drivers to win more than one F1 race in the 2012 season so far
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Red Bull say they are in no rush to discuss a new contract for Mark Webber
  • The Australian driver won the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Sunday
  • Webber has been linked with a move to Ferrari to replace Felipe Massa
  • The 35-year-old is second in the drivers' championship behind Fernando Alonso

(CNN) -- Despite a thrilling victory at the British Grand Prix that saw Mark Webber close the gap on world championship leader Fernando Alonso, Red Bull insist they are in no rush to offer him a new contract.

The Australian chalked up his second victory of the season at Silverstone, hunting down the Ferrari of Alonso at the climax of a hugely tactical race.

Webber closed the gap between himself and his Spanish rival to 16 points with the halfway point in the campaign fast approaching.

Though the 35-year-old is emerging as a leading contender to claim his maiden Formula One title and despite speculation linking him with a switch to Ferrari, Red Bull insist they are relaxed about his contract.

Webber pips Alonso to take British GP at Silverstone

Stirling Moss: A history of Silverstone
Designing Formula One tires
Designing a Formula One car
In the pits with Lotus F1 Team

"I think that very simply we have a great relationship with Mark," team boss Christian Horner told gathered reporters. "As always with him, things are pretty straightforward.

"This is his seventh season with the team. He has had all of his success in F1 with this team and we would like to see that continue.

"Inevitably there is an awful lot of speculation surrounding Ferrari, but we are only focused on ourselves. We cannot control what other people say or do, and I think that Mark feels comfortable in the team."

The marque also boast defending double world champion Sebastian Vettel amongst their ranks, and Webber has been outspoken in the past about having to play second fiddle to the German.

But Horner confirmed that contract talks with Webber are on the agenda in the not too distant future and praised Vettel for claiming a podium place at Silverstone.

"Mark wants to be in the team next year and therefore, as we have always stated, during the summer we will sit down and talk about the future," he said.

"And that period of time is obviously coming up pretty close now, so over the next few weeks we will be talking about 2013. Mark has given me every indication that he is very happy here, and you can see that in his driving.

"He is driving very well this year, he has won two big races now -- the Monaco Grand Prix and the British Grand Prix, and I think his drive at Silverstone was excellent.

Latest Formula One standings

"It was great for him to win for the team at our local race, and obviously coming from just up the road as well, and to have Sebastian up there on the podium after a difficult first lap again was a double bonus."

Meanwhile, Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali thinks the constructors' title will be as closely fought as the drivers' championship this year.

Red Bull have dominated in each of the last two years and though they are out in front again this season, the gap to Ferrari is only 64 points.

Domenicali said: "If we look at the situation of Silverstone, with the first four cars, it means we have made a step in the right direction from the performance point of view. But it is a very open championship," he said.

"I don't believe honestly that the others will stay behind. I am sure McLaren will fight to come back, and the others are very close.

"I was impressed by the pace of Lotus. If you look at (Romain) Grosjean, if you look at the first lap he pitted and then he finished sixth. So the field is very tight."

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
updated 10:43 AM EDT, Thu July 3, 2014
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
updated 7:10 PM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
updated 8:33 AM EDT, Thu May 22, 2014
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
updated 10:59 AM EDT, Wed May 21, 2014
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
updated 11:00 AM EDT, Thu May 1, 2014
TO GO WITH AFP STORY IN ARABIC BY SUHEIL HOWAYEK: (FILES) Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna adjusts his rear view mirror in the pits 01 May 1994 before the start of the San Marino Grand Prix. Senna died after crashing in the seventh lap. Some 45 drivers, including Senna and Canadian Gilles Villeneuve, have been killed during Formula One races whose tracks are dubbed by some as the 'circuits of death.' AFP PHOTO/JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU (Photo credit should read JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU/AFP/Getty Images)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
updated 11:16 AM EDT, Wed April 30, 2014
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Fri April 25, 2014
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Susie Wolff, pictured, will become the Formula One's first female competitor in 20 years when she takes part in the first practice sessions at the British and German grands prix in July.
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.
ADVERTISEMENT