Skip to main content

Italian cruise ship captain freed from house arrest

From Livia Borghese, for CNN
updated 12:55 PM EDT, Fri July 6, 2012
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner Francesco Schettino is escorted by an Italian policeman in Grosseto on January 14, 2012.
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner Francesco Schettino is escorted by an Italian policeman in Grosseto on January 14, 2012.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: A newspaper publishes an account saying the captain credits "a divine hand"
  • Francesco Schettino is freed from house arrest but must stay in his home town
  • He was in charge of the Costa Concordia when it struck rocks and overturned
  • Schettino's lawyer says his behavior under house arrest has been "faultless"

The CNN Presents documentary "Cruise to Disaster" aired Wednesday, July 4, at 8 p.m ET. Encore presentation Sunday, July 8, at 8 p.m. ET

Rome (CNN) -- Italian judges released the captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner from house arrest Thursday, but ordered him not to leave his home town while the case against him continues, his lawyer said.

Francesco Schettino has been under house arrest in his home town of Meta di Sorrento, near Naples, since January 17.

At least 30 people died when the cruise liner struck rocks and turned on its side off the Italian island of Giglio on January 13.

Schettino faces allegations of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, abandoning ship, failing to report an accident to the coast guard and destroying a natural habitat, a prosecutor said this year. Giglio is a protected park.

Cruise survivors: 'It was pitch black'
Costa Concordia survivors recall disaster
Cruise to disaster: The Costa Concordia

Schettino's lawyer, Bruno Leporatti, had argued for the lifting of the restrictions on his client, saying his behavior had been "faultless."

The judge leading the preliminary investigations, Valeria Montesarchio, said it would be easy to keep Schettino under "adequate supervision" in Meta di Sorrento without house arrest because it is a small town, according to court documents released Thursday.

In addition, the months Schettino has spent under house arrest have already produced a "deterrent effect," Montesarchio said.

Concordia disaster focuses attention on how cruise industry operates

The judge also lifted a provision barring Schettino from communicating with anyone apart from his lawyers and family.

From the beginning, Leporatti said, the attitude of the captain had been "totally collaborative, he has spoken on his defense but admitting his responsibilities, without trying to download them on others."

The lawyer said the judge's decision to order Schettino to stay in his home town was "the least punitive measure" available to him.

Also on Thursday, Italian newspaper Corriere del Mezzogiorno published documents written by Schettino's lawyers that purport to be the captain's recollection of what happened on the night the Costa Concordia struck rocks off the Italian coast.

"No one, until then, had warned me that we had passed the point of turn on the fixed route. Luckily I saw the white froth on my left. It was a sign that made me give the order to tack to starboard, out of pure instinct. At that moment a divine hand has definitely landed on my head. If I had continued on that route, we hit the rock with the bow. It would have been a massacre," Schettino said, according to the newspaper.

A court hearing on July 21 will start the examination of the enormous amount of technical information gathered in the wake of the disaster.

Schettino's first officer, Ciro Ambrosio, and six other officers both on the ship and from the firm Costa in Genoa are under investigation over allegations including manslaughter, shipwreck and failure to report the accident, the prosecutor in the case has said.

No one has been charged in connection with the shipwreck.

Schettino previously has said managers of the Costa cruise line instructed him to sail close to the island and has denied allegations that he was sailing too fast. He has said the rock the ship struck was not indicated on his charts of the area.

Salvage experts announced in May that efforts to raise the wrecked liner from the sea floor in one piece and tow it from the disaster site were getting under way.

Covering a cruise ship disaster

CNN's Aliza Kassim and Todd Sperry contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
The Costa Concordia disaster
updated 11:26 AM EST, Tue December 2, 2014
The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship faced questions over the change of course that led to its sinking.
updated 8:09 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Nearly three years after the Costa Concordia cruise ship ran aground off Italy's Giglio Island, the remains of the final victim have been recovered.
updated 5:58 PM EDT, Sun July 27, 2014
The crippled Costa Concordia cruise ship reached the end of its final voyage.
updated 4:04 AM EDT, Wed July 23, 2014
When the ship and its salvage convoy finally depart Giglio, the residents of this picturesque island will breathe a sigh of relief -- and shed a tear.
updated 12:18 PM EDT, Mon July 14, 2014
It may be the biggest salvage operation in history, but no one would accuse it of being the fastest.
updated 11:30 AM EDT, Mon July 14, 2014
How long does it take? How much does it cost? Here is salvaging the Costa Concordia, by the numbers.
updated 1:36 PM EDT, Mon September 16, 2013
The nautical blue paint spelling out "Costa Concordia" has almost all bubbled and chipped off the bow of the once luxurious cruise liner.
updated 11:21 AM EDT, Mon September 16, 2013
The passengers weren't the only people whose lives were transformed by the Concordia disaster. So was the island/
updated 11:23 AM EDT, Mon September 16, 2013
Nick Sloane: Has master mariner in charge of salvage met his match in the Costa Concordia?
updated 7:23 AM EDT, Tue September 17, 2013
Browse our interactive to see how one of the largest cruise liners ever built will finally be raised from the Italian sea bed.
ADVERTISEMENT