Utah fire believed to have started in shooting range

Story highlights

  • Residents allowed to return to communities south of Salt Lake City
  • The wildfire is believed to have started in a shooting range
  • Northern Colorado fire grows to 75,500 acres

About 2,000 evacuated residents got the all-clear Saturday to return to their homes as crews tried to slow the growth of a 6,000-acre fire south of Salt Lake City.

The fire was believed to have started at a target-shooting range.

Nearly 600 houses were evacuated after the Dump Fire started Thursday morning near Utah Lake, said incident spokeswoman Kim Osborn.

No homes in the Eagle Mountain and Sarasota Springs communities have been destroyed by the fire, which tore through grass, sage brush and juniper. It was 30% contained Saturday.

About 450 people were on hand to fight the fire, with a new team arriving Saturday.

Colorado's wildfire has swelled to 75,500 acres.

Restrictions were being placed on the shooting range, according to Osborn.

"They can't prevent people from shooting, but they can prevent them from using explosive targets and bullets that tend to spark more."

    Meanwhile, fire activity was expected to kick up Saturday afternoon in the massive High Park Fire in northern Colorado. It has swelled to 75,500 acres.

      Just Watched

      Biggest fire in New Mexico history rages

    Biggest fire in New Mexico history rages 01:00

      Just Watched

      Wildfire photographer works amid chaos

    Wildfire photographer works amid chaos 01:06

    More wind and heat could hamper Colorado wildfire fight

    The blaze, which was 45% contained, has destroyed 191 homes west of Fort Collins. Numerous homes were saved Friday, said incident commander Bill Hahnenberg.

    CNN iReporter David Thrush of Eaton said he occasionally smells the fire and has seen ash accumulate on his clothes and cars, depending on the direction of the wind. Eaton is about 30 miles from the fire.

    A 20-acre fire in Estes Park burned some structures and closed the main entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, officials said.