N.J. cop may have set up standoff, Pa. police say

Story highlights

  • The suspect called police and then waited for them, authorities say
  • A letter in the driveway warned officers he was armed, police say
  • Richard Klementovich was arraigned early Monday
  • A preliminary hearing is tentatively set for June 22
A standoff between Pennsylvania police and an off-duty New Jersey police officer appears to have been an intentional setup by the suspect, authorities said Monday.
Richard Klementovich, 42, surrendered to officers to end the standoff, Doylestown Township Police Chief Dean Logan said. Klementovich, a Clifton, New Jersey, police officer, was arraigned early Monday, the chief said.
The incident began about 1:45 p.m. Sunday when Doylestown Township police received a call about an argument -- one that police said Monday they believe came from Klementovich.
When they arrived about 15 minutes later, officers found a letter in the driveway, Logan said. "It basically stated to the effect that he has 2,000 rounds of ammunition in the home and is a police officer," he said.
The responding officer immediately returned to his vehicle, which then was pelted with bullets after the suspect opened fire, Logan said.
Police returned fire with high-powered assault rifles, though the exact number of rounds fired was under investigation, he said.
One officer was injured, and several police vehicles were shot, Pennridge Regional Police Department Chief David Mettin told reporters Sunday.
Klementovich barricaded himself inside the residence Sunday night, authorities said.
The surrender was arranged by negotiators on the phone with the suspect, Logan said. Klementovich's bail was set at $1 million, and he was being housed Monday at Bucks County Correctional Facility.
The defendant was dressed in tactical gear, Logan said.
"All indications are that he was anticipating our arrival, anticipating our response, which made it all the more difficult and more dangerous," he said.
A preliminary hearing is tentatively set for June 22.
Sgt. Robert Bracken with police in Clifton, about 15 miles northwest of New York City, confirmed Sunday one of its officers was involved in the standoff. Clifton police were on the scene in Doylestown, about 75 miles away, and were working with authorities Sunday, he said.
Doylestown Township, about 30 miles north of Philadelphia, has a population of about 17,500.