Colombian rebels release video of captured French journalist

French journalist Romeo Langlois was captured last month by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

Story highlights

  • French journalist Romeo Langlois appears in a video broadcast by Telesur
  • He was captured last month and is supposed to be released this week
  • In the video, he receives medical treatment, talks about his reporting experience
  • He's being held by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia
Sitting on a simple chair, shirtless except for a bandage covering a part of his arm, the man seems relaxed. Almost cool, he smiles at one point and cracks a joke.
"Go ahead, you can ask me questions if you want. It's strange. Normally, I'm the one asking questions. I'm the journalist," he says. "But it's OK."
The video, broadcast Monday by the Venezuelan Telesur network, is the first to show images of French journalist Romeo Langlois since he was captured last month by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known as FARC.
Langlois, a war journalist with more than 10 years of experience in Colombia, was reporting alongside soldiers when the rebel group opened fire, according to the government. Four people were killed and six were wounded in the April 28 attack.
Over the weekend, FARC announced that it would release Langlois on Wednesday.
The video shows him stating and spelling his name. He receives treatment for an arm wound and talks about his experience reporting on the conflict in Colombia.
"I cover both sides, seeking the opinion of everyone," he says.
CNN could not confirm the authenticity of the video, which gave no indication as to when it was shot.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has said his government would do whatever was necessary to guarantee Langlois' release.
"The Colombian government is willing to provide all the facilities so the release occurs as quickly as possible, but if you really want to be viewed well by the world, release him now and simply tell us where he is and we will go get him," he said this month.
The rebel group has been at war with the government since the 1960s, making it Latin American's oldest insurgency.
While severely weakened in recent years, FARC continues to carry out kidnappings and attack security forces.