Bolton Wanderers' Muamba discharged from hospital

Story highlights

  • Fabrice Muamba discharged from hospital less than a month after near-fatal collapse
  • The 24-year-old pays tribute to The London Chest Hospital staff
  • "Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing," Muamba said
  • Bolton Wanderers midfielder collapsed during FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hostpur

Fabrice Muamba, the Bolton Wanderers midfielder who suffered a near-fatal cardiac arrest on the pitch last month, has left hospital.

The 24-year-old, who collapsed during a fifth round FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on March 17, was discharged from The London Chest Hospital on Monday.

"I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at The London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care," Muamba said in a statement.

"Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support," he added.

"Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family."

Muamba's heart stopped for 78 minutes with medics at White Hart Lane and then later at the London Chest Hospital battling to keep him alive.

His discharge, less than a month after his collapse, continues what has been a remarkable recovery.

Bill McKenna, Professor of Cardiology at The Heart Hospital in London told CNN's World Sport: "Clearly it was a difficult and prolonged resuscitation and you would have feared the worst.

"It's great, clearly, that he's walking, talking, moving and ready to be discharged in a very short time period."

Bolton Wanderers manager, Owen Coyle said it was "fantastic news" before adding his thanks to all the staff at the hospital.

"It's important that Fabrice and his family are now given time and space to be together, and we would ask the media to continue to respect their privacy," Coyle said in a statement.