Skip to main content

Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead, says F1's ruling body

updated 9:57 AM EDT, Sat April 14, 2012
The FIA has ended weeks of speculation by announcing the Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead on April 22
The FIA has ended weeks of speculation by announcing the Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead on April 22
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • World motorsport's governing body say Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead on April 22
  • FIA says it is "satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place"
  • Race was canceled in 2011 due to unrest in the Gulf Kingdom
  • Recent continuing civil unrest has put this year's race in doubt

(CNN) -- Motorsport's governing body has ended uncertainty over the Bahrain Grand Prix by issuing a statement confirming that the Formula One race will go ahead next weekend.

The Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) on Friday acted to end weeks of speculation amid continuing protests and civil unrest in the Gulf kingdom.

"Based on the current information the FIA has at this stage, it is satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a Formula One World Championship event in Bahrain," the FIA said following a meeting between F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone and the 12 competing teams in Shanghai.

"Away from the public eye, the FIA has received regular security briefings from the most senior diplomatic officials based in the Kingdom as well as from other independent experts," the statement continued.

Economic importance of Bahrain F1 race
Schumacher: Bahrain is safe
Vettel on Bahrain F1 uncertainty
F1's dilemma over Bahrain Grand Prix

F1 chief Ecclestone: Sport and politics should not mix

"The FIA must make rational decisions based on the information provided to us by the Bahraini authorities and by the Commercial Rights Holder. In addition we have endeavored to assess the ongoing situation in Bahrain."

Ecclestone said he welcomed the statement after all the recent speculation.

"I understand that the problems in Bahrain are nothing to do with Formula One. Quite the opposite, we have a lot of support," the 81-year-old told CNN.

"There are other issues, I believe, in Bahrain, but nothing to do with us. We don't go into the country and interfere with the politics of the country anywhere, wherever we go."

Schumacher - Bahrain is safe

FIA president Jean Todt visited the island on a "fact-finding mission" last November, the statement says, consulting "a large number of decision-makers and opinion formers" including the Crown Prince, King Hamad bin Issa al-Khalifa and ambassadors of European Union countries.

"All expressed their wish for the grand prix to go ahead in 2012, and since then, the FIA has kept in close touch with all these stakeholders," the FIA said.

The race, which was canceled twice last year because of concerns about safety, is due to run on April 22.

The owner of the host track, Bahrain International Circuit, said that the race should be trouble-free.

"The BIC has been clear throughout recent weeks and months that the security situation in Bahrain is suitable for the staging of a major sporting event," it said in a statement.

Red Bull's team principal Christian Horner said he respected the FIA's decision.

"The confusing thing has been the uncertainty. So I think for everybody here in the paddock now it's clear that there will be a race in Bahrain next week," Horner told reporters in China ahead of the third race of the 2012 F1 season on Sunday.

"The FIA have obviously done their research and come out with a clear statement that as a team entered into the championship we respect."

I understand that the problems in Bahrain are nothing to do with Formula One. Quite the opposite, we have a lot of support
Formula One boss, Bernie Ecclestone

Red Bull driver Mark Webber, who publicly opposed last year's race in Bahrain said Thursday that he wanted to race, but it was a difficult decision.

"I have tried to watch the news to get the most balanced view that I can possibly get without getting too corrupted by false information," Webber told reporters.

"It has been a little quieter, but this is Mark Webber sitting here -- I have as much information as anyone else.

"If we had a choice would we go? I want to race. That is what I would like to go there and do.

"But saying that you cannot ignore the fact that all of us, in the backs of our minds, want it to go down smoothly and don't want it to be involved in the unrest."

But seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, now in his second season at the Mercedes GP team, said he would feel safe racing in Bahrain and trusted the FIA's decision-making.

Former world champion Damon Hill, who had previously expressed concerns about the staging of the race this year, says he was "100% behind" the FIA's decision.

"All the arguments have been made for and against. Human rights organizations have had their cases heard. No one is under any illusions about the situation. But the less vocal majority of Bahrainis also have a right to get on with their lives and we also have a responsibility to our F1 fans in the region," Hill, the 1996 champion, said in a statement.

"I hope that F1 can be seen as a symbol of all that is possible if we can work together peacefully," Hill added.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
updated 10:43 AM EDT, Thu July 3, 2014
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
updated 7:10 PM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
updated 8:33 AM EDT, Thu May 22, 2014
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
updated 10:59 AM EDT, Wed May 21, 2014
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
updated 11:00 AM EDT, Thu May 1, 2014
TO GO WITH AFP STORY IN ARABIC BY SUHEIL HOWAYEK: (FILES) Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna adjusts his rear view mirror in the pits 01 May 1994 before the start of the San Marino Grand Prix. Senna died after crashing in the seventh lap. Some 45 drivers, including Senna and Canadian Gilles Villeneuve, have been killed during Formula One races whose tracks are dubbed by some as the 'circuits of death.' AFP PHOTO/JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU (Photo credit should read JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU/AFP/Getty Images)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
updated 11:16 AM EDT, Wed April 30, 2014
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
updated 7:56 AM EDT, Fri April 25, 2014
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
updated 7:13 AM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
Susie Wolff, pictured, will become the Formula One's first female competitor in 20 years when she takes part in the first practice sessions at the British and German grands prix in July.
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.
ADVERTISEMENT