Skip to main content

Watson savors emotional Masters win

updated 6:59 AM EDT, Tue April 10, 2012
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Masters champion Bubba Watson is learning to control emotions after crying during win
  • First major tournament win for Watson, who lost in a playoff at the 2010 PGA Championship
  • Emotional win comes just two weeks after adopting son Caleb
  • Watson relies heavily on caddie for support during miraculous shot from woods onto green

He prevailed in a thrilling two-hole playoff to capture his first Masters championship. Now Bubba Watson prepares for The Piers Morgan interview! Watch on CNN at 9 p.m. ET Tonight.

(CNN) -- First-time Masters champion Bubba Watson admits he's still learning to control his emotions after a miraculous win left him bawling on the green.

"I'm just trying to figure out ways to calm down, to breathe differently to control me and keep me calm," the American told CNN's Shane O'Donoghue after Sunday's dramatic playoff win at Augusta National.

"I'm putting my head down between holes, not because I'm mad or disappointed, it's just because I'm trying to stay focused.

"If the crowd's cheering and I'm looking at them and talking, then I get so pumped up. The ball could go anywhere because I've got so much adrenalin pumping through my veins."

Hometown celebrates Bubba Watson's win
Bubba Watson's American dream

It was the first major tournament win for Gerry "Bubba" Watson Jr., who lost in a playoff at the PGA Championship in 2010. He became the 14th different winner in the last 14 major tournaments.

After a miraculous escape out of woods to the right of the 10th fairway on the second hole of the playoff against Louis Oosthuizen on Sunday, Watson burst into tears.

It was an emotional moment for the 33-year-old, who just two weeks ago adopted a baby boy, Caleb, with his wife. Watson's mother was the first person to greet him on the 10th hole, and he held her tight, crying on her shoulder. His father died right after Bubba played in the losing U.S. team at the 2010 Ryder Cup.

Watson was more than 165 yards from the flag, his ball resting uncomfortably on pine needles following a wayward drive.

Bubba Watson

But that didn't stop him hitting a hook shot 40 yards right, the ball rising 15 feet above the ground to sail through a small opening in the trees.

The ball landed 10 feet from the hole, leaving Watson with two putts for the win after his South African opponent had bogeyed.

The left-hander admitted relying heavily on his caddie for support during the astonishing shot.

"My caddie told me all the time, 'you're a good golfer. You're here for a reason. You can do this. You've done this all before. You just have to do it at this moment.' That's the thing; we've all hit these shots, it's just doing it at this moment. That's the trick," he said.

Watson is now hoping the victory will pave the way for more major wins.

"As an athlete, as a golfer, this is the Mecca. This is what we strove for: to put on the green jackets," he said.

"As of less than two years ago, I didn't have a win. Now I've got four. My dream has always been to have 10 wins."

Oosthuizen, 29, had rocketed into the lead when he holed his second shot at the par-five second hole for only the fourth albatross in the history of the Masters.

However, in the end, the 2010 British Open champion was no match for Watson.

"That was my first double eagle (albatross) ever, and to do it in a spot like Augusta, that's special," he said.

"I felt it was tough over the next four or five holes, but then when we turned, I felt very relaxed. I made a few great saves. I probably did very well to get in the playoff."

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:47 AM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
If golf has a reputation for being a bit stuffy, then the Bryan brothers and their trick shots are a much-needed blast of fresh air.
updated 8:18 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Not many people make the leap from teenage market trader to golf pro and fashion entrepreneur, but that's just what Ian Poulter has done.
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.