Skip to main content

Tseng has company in battle for first women's major

updated 2:20 PM EDT, Sun April 1, 2012
Yani Tseng shows her frustration after a putt fails to drop during her third round 71 at Mission Hills.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Yani Tseng and Karin Sjodin share third round lead at Kraft Nabisco
  • Tseng bidding to become youngest golfer to win six majors
  • Sjodin shoots four-under 68 to join her in lead at Mission Hills
  • Louis Oosthuizen leads Houston Open after third round

(CNN) -- World No.1 Yani Tseng and Sweden's Karin Sjodin will go into the final round of the first women's major of the season tied for the lead at Mission Hills in California.

Sjodin fired a four-under 68 to join Tseng on nine-under 207 Saturday at the top of the Kraft Nabisco Championship leaderboard.

The contrast between the two players could not be greater, with Sjodin seeking a first victory in seven years on the LPGA tour, while Tseng is bidding to become the youngest player in history to win six golf majors.

The 23-year-old from Taiwan admitted after her round of 71 that she had become distracted.

"For the front nine, I played very solid, especially in this wind," she said.

"I don't think it was as tough as I thought, so maybe I was prepared for this. But on the back nine, I got kind of emotional, maybe thinking too much, trying too hard to play better."

Sjodin, reportedly playing with a dislocated rib, is enjoying her unexpected challenge.

"I never felt like I was ever in trouble. ... It feels great to be there. I don't know if I've really had time to think about it much. It's going to be fun tomorrow, definitely," she told the official LPGA Tour website.

South Korea's Haeji Kang was two shots back in third after struggling to a 72.

World number two Na Yeon Choi of South Korea was in a five-strong group on five-under.

Tseng, who has won three of five LPGA events this season, is hoping her third round struggles will be to her eventual advantage.

"'I'm glad this happened today instead of tomorrow,"

"I was just thinking too much and trying too hard. It's good to find out earlier."

Meanwhile on the PGA Tour, former British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa led after three rounds of the Houston Open.

He shot his second straight six-under 66 to total 17-under 199, two clear of American Hunter Mahan.

Swede Carl Pettersson (67) and England's Brian Davis (69) shared third at 14 under.

Defending champion Phil Mickelson was six shots back alongside PGA champion Keegan Bradley and Ryan Palmer.

"It's a great leaderboard behind me," Oosthuizen told the official PGA Tour website.

"It's going to be tough, but I feel like I'm ready for it."

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.