Afghan Taliban suspend talks

    Just Watched

    Karzai urges U.S. pullback

Karzai urges U.S. pullback 01:58

Story highlights

  • The Afghan Taliban blame the Americans' "ever-changing position"
  • The Taliban opened the office in January
  • Preliminary talks had begun over the exchange of prisoners
  • The decision is effective "until the Americans clarify their stance," the group says

The Afghan Taliban announced Thursday they have suspended a diplomatic office in Qatar intended for talks with the United States. The group cited what it described as the Americans' "alternating and ever-changing position" for the decision.

The Taliban had opened the office on January 3 "for the purposes of reaching an understanding with the international community and for addressing some specific issues with the American invaders after arriving at an agreement with the government of Qatar," the group said in a statement.

Thursday's announcement came shortly after U.S. officials said they had moved a U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 civilians out of Afghanistan and on the day that U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta was meeting in Kabul with President Hamid Karzai.

Preliminary talks "with the occupying enemy" had already begun over the exchange of prisoners, the Taliban said.

"The Americans initially agreed upon taking practical steps regarding the exchange of prisoners and to not oppose our political office, but with the passage of time, they turned their backs on their promises and started initiating baseless propaganda portraying the envoys of the Islamic Emirate as having commenced multilateral negotiations for solving the Afghan dilemma," it added.

Protesters demand Afghan trial for U.S. soldier

The statement said that Karzai, whom the Taliban accuse of being a U.S. puppet, "falsely proclaimed that the Kabul administration and the Americans have jointly started peace talks with Taliban."

      Just Watched

      Protests, gunfire after Afghan slaughter

    Protests, gunfire after Afghan slaughter 02:32
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      Bombings greet Panetta in Afghanistan

    Bombings greet Panetta in Afghanistan 01:59
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      Pentagon officials feel 'punched in gut'

    Pentagon officials feel 'punched in gut' 02:21
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      Taliban seek revenge in Afghanistan

    Taliban seek revenge in Afghanistan 02:47
    PLAY VIDEO

    In their latest meeting, a U.S. representative presented a list of conditions that "were not only unacceptable but also in contradiction with the earlier agreed upon points," the statement said. "So it was due to their alternating and ever changing position that the Islamic Emirate was compelled to suspend all dialogue with the Americans. We must categorically state that the real source of obstacle in talks was the shaky, erratic and vague standpoint of the Americans; therefore all the responsibility for the halt also falls on their shoulders."

    The statement added the Americans and Karzai were "postponing the core issues and are wasting time."

    The Taliban said the decision is effective "from today onwards until the Americans clarify their stance on the issues concerned and until they show willingness in carrying out their promises instead of wasting time."

    Protests, gunfire over Afghan massacre

    The Taliban described as "pointless" any discussion with the administration in Kabul. It blamed the presence of foreign forces in the nation for the "instability of the entire region."

    There was no immediate reaction from Washington.

    The initial talks with the Taliban were aimed at establishing what senior U.S. officials called "confidence-building measures" to lay the groundwork for negotiations between the Afghan government and the Taliban, with the United States possibly serving in a mediation role.

    U.S. officials have been trying to jump-start peace talks between the Taliban and Afghan officials through discussions over the past year.

    The process has been marred by dissatisfaction from Afghan government officials that they were not included at the start. Karzai's advisers have complained that U.S. officials were going behind Kabul's back in talking to the Taliban.

        Slaughter in Afghanistan

      • erin simon bales arrest_00003613

        Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will be charged with 17 counts of murder and six counts of assault and attempted murder, a U.S. official said.
      • His lawyer says Sgt. Robert Bales may have post-traumatic stress disorder or a brain injury. What's the link between violence and those disorders?
      • A villager points to a spot where a family was allegedly shot in their residence by a rogue US soldier in Alkozai village of Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012.

        Robert Bales' attorney says he's in shock and worried about family as he stands accused of killing Afghan civilians.
      • Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, 1st platoon sergeant, Blackhorse Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, meets with local Afghan civilians during a patrol in the village of Jahel Dar Lab-e at the National Training Center Aug. 23. Blackhorse Company patrolled the village of Jahel Dar Lab-e to establish a relationship with the Afghan people and secure the village.

        An Army soldier accused of killing Afghan civilians was not drunk but doesn't remember what happened and is in shock, his lawyer said.
      • bts karzai afghanistan shooting reaction_00000218

        Video: Afghan President Hamid Karzai cast doubt on the U.S. account of a shooting rampage after meeting with the families of victims.
      • simon.bales.lewis_00005926

        Video: CNN's Dan Simon visits the former U.S. home of Staff Sgt. Robert Bales to learn more about the accused shooter.