Skip to main content

New No.1 McIlroy turns his attention to Augusta after Honda Classic triumph

updated 4:35 AM EST, Tue March 6, 2012
Rory McIlroy shows what it means to be new world no 1 after holing his winning putt at the Honda Classic.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • New no.1 Rory McIlroy targets Masters success at Augusta
  • McIlroy led last year at Augusta before disastrous final round
  • He believes return to form of Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson good for the game
  • McIlroy defends top ranking at WGC tournament at Doral this week

(CNN) -- Fresh from becoming world no.1 for the first time, Rory McIlroy is predicting "exciting times" for golf as the world's top players hit peak form ahead of the Masters at Augusta.

The 22-year-old from Northern Ireland is only too aware that his reign at the top of the rankings could be brief with deposed no.1 Luke Donald and no.3 Lee Westwood both capable of dislodging him after this week's WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral in Florida.

McIlroy will take three weeks off after that tournament to focus on the opening major of the season, desperate to erase the disappointment of last year when he led for 63 holes before imploding on the back nine on the final day.

But he recognizes that he will face a big challenge from a revived Tiger Woods, who pushed him all the way in the Honda Classic with a stunning final round 62 at PGA National, and three-time Masters winner Phil Mickelson, who won at Pebble Beach last month.

"I think it's fantastic for the game," McIlroy told gathered reporters after his latest triumph in Florida.

"To see what Phil did at Pebble, to see Tiger playing like he did today.

Rory McIlroy

"Everyone is excited for Augusta and I'm looking forward to getting back there and giving it another shot."

Both Donald, who won the money lists in Europe and the United States last season, and fellow Englishman Westwood, whose brilliant closing 63 at PGA National left him fourth behind McIlroy, will be desperate to win their first major titles next month.

Reigning champion Charl Schwartzel of South Africa is also running into form with a tied fifth finish Sunday.

But according to McIlroy's compatriot Graeme McDowell, they all have work to do to match his stablemate.

"He's the best player I've ever seen tee-to-green, period," McDowell told the official PGA Tour website.

"I didn't have a chance to play with Tiger in the early to mid 2000s when Tiger was the man, but Rory McIlroy is the best."

Former U.S. Open champion McDowell believes McIlroy's improvements on the greens, he holed a series of clutch putts on Sunday, has made the difference.

"As soon as he learned how to putt, he was going to be a dominating force," McDowell said. "You're starting to see that now."

McIlroy flew to New York to see his girlfriend and former tennis no.1 Caroline Wozniacki after his latest win, but when he returns to Florida for this week's tournament on the famous Blue Monster course it will be with a renewed self-belief.

"I always felt like when I played my best, I would be hard to beat," McIlroy said.

"I feel like I've always been a pretty confident guy. But I think I've got a lot more belief in myself now when I'm going down the stretch. I definitely don't doubt myself as much as I used to."

He will be hoping that confidence extends to the Masters where he will look to add to his U.S. Open triumph at Congressional last June.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:47 AM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
If golf has a reputation for being a bit stuffy, then the Bryan brothers and their trick shots are a much-needed blast of fresh air.
updated 8:18 AM EST, Thu December 11, 2014
Not many people make the leap from teenage market trader to golf pro and fashion entrepreneur, but that's just what Ian Poulter has done.
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.